All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  New Shows    rescue my renovation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

rescue my renovation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        really enjoy John D and the solutions he and the crew come up with. Unfortunately cannot watch the show due to the fact the experiences being shown are so similar to the ones me and my family went through with a contractor. John asked a couple at the end of a show if he restored their faith in contractors and they responded yes. i wish I could get to that point, but I have not had a contractor in my house in 10 years because of the treachery he put us through. If the end result could be anything like what this show creates, even half, I believe my story could be an episode. From no shows, to multiple drunk arrivals, falling off roofs, stealing tools from my garage, poor building techniques, property damage to my yard and my neighbors, almost every inspection failed and of course job abandonment without return of funds.

great show, just hits very close to home for us. My wife started crying and walked out after saying I cannot watch this, you shouldn't either Frown

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        That's a shame. I'm sure that you realize that bad contractors are only a small fraction of all the others out there. The sad thing is that if you can barely even watch a TV show about bad contractors and you refuse to use any contractor again - you have set yourself up to have your life controlled by this one bad contractor forever.

I'm sure you know this but think about it:

1. There are some uninformed car salesman out there who's only "skill" is to lie to you and get the most of your money. So you still buy cars?
        2. Lawyers. All those lawyer jokes are out there for a reason. Yet if you ever need legal help they are certainly the way to go.
        3. Grocery stores that spray chemicals on outdated produce so they can make a sale, Servers in restaurants who will steal your credit card information....I could go on and on.

I think you get the idea.

I am a contractor - and a good one. I've been in business since the late 80's. We do things right. We do things fairly. Yes, we do make a profit (most of the time), that's what pays the bills. In three different decades of doing business, I have yet to spend the first dime on advertising - all our clients come to us via referrals from previous clients. For the past ten years or so about half our projects are for repeat customers who have called us back again and again.

I am a good contractor who would never have given you the impression that you have now had my company worked in your house. I am not alone, there are many honest and skilled contractors out there - more good ones than bad. John DeSilvia is a good contractor too. I've worked with John on many high-stress projects and can tell you that he is a real class act. That anger and disgust that you see in him when they uncover poor construction on his show is real, not an act. Those of us who are professional contractors who are honest and skilled hate the bad contractors even more than you do.

If you want to shake off the control that one bad contractor has held over you for a decade I would suggest that you start by watching John D's show. It will not erase all the bad things that you have experienced but it cannot hurt to see that there are some people out there doing it right.

One other point: In all my years in business I have come across a handful of bad homeowners. These are people who will invent any excuse to be critical of good quality work, will refuse to pay, will lie and manipulate just so they can cheat an honest workman. There are bad people in every aspect of life. The trick is to learn from those bad experiences so that they do not happen again, not run and hide from them.

I'm sorry you had a huge bad experience. It happens but it's not the norm. If it's any consolation, most of the bad, cheating, unskilled, drunk contractors do not stay in business for very long.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10148 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        he's the third generation of contractors in his family. His father was even here on the job site. he's been in business too long and suckers like me hire him every year and probably get the short end of the stick. I appreciate you trying to sway my thinking that their are "good" people in your trade.
        You have heard the saying screw my once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.
        He doesnt have control, I took it all back

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Well, as one of those "good" people, I felt compelled to reply.

Jaybee

Posts: 10148 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        first time the guy showed up drunk on the job, you should have terminated the contract for cause. first time tools got stolen, you should have brought in the cops.

I had to redo all the work a tipsy licensed master electrician did for Dad on several jobs because that's who {highly respected general electrical contractor XXXXX} sent out. the company tanked, by the way, a good 30 years ago, after 80 years. "oh, gee, I need some screws," and he's back in two hours dropping screwdrivers in a trail. that kind of thing.

the dis-service done to the industry by incompetent, uncaring, and/or impaired workmen should really compel everybody to report shoddy or no work, or anti-work. as a plain old Joe-DIYer, I suggest you find a "talking cure" if this is still that raw a wound. everything needs repair at some point, and before you can use the usual suggestions to find the right repairmen, you first have to be able to deal with them.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5513 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        i have learned to do everything to some extent. unless DIY comes knockin, i will never use another contractor. Oh BTW, it is pretty hard to terminate the contract if you have already paid for the work. i know the next thing somebody who is so much smarter then me will say, "you should never pay before the job is done, yatayatayata. Well not every contractor does it this way, and this looser didnt either. myb he should have, myb i shoud lnot have paid him, but it happened, I trusted him, he and all his trades burned me and now I am stuck 10 years later *****in about it on a message board & getting advice from people who have only the knowledge I wrote in my first ever post on this board. Geez, so quick to judge. 2 responses, both said I was in the wrong. really helps alot and makes me want to go right to the yellow pages and start calling for new GC's to pay Frown

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Interesting attitude. Again, I'm very sorry that one crappy contractor has given you this viewpoint. In addition to all the bad work and other crap you went through, you should know that they also screwed you over on payment schedule. Licensed contractors must follow billing guidelines that are tied into work progress and the original contract. The good contractors will balance invoices with work progress so that neither the homeowner nor the contractor is carrying an unfair burden during the construction. Also, it is normal practice for the final payment to only be made after the project is complete. But, you didn't know that ten years ago.

Just about everyone on this board is here to give their best advice based on what you or others write in. This is not a DIY Network group, just regular people who are here to help and share. I don't know if my comments offended you or not, all I can say is that was not my intent. I'm certainly not going to apologize for making factual and professional comments to your post.

If you want to believe that all contractors are crooks and incompetent then I will continue to point out that this is blatantly false - the small fraction of poor contractors are far outweighed by the real ones who do honest, quality work. If that fact offends you - I can do nothing about it.

I really can't blame you if you never want to hire another contractor. While I don't know all the details of what happened to you ten years ago I've seen a lot of bad work in my day. Since you don't plan to hire contractors again, you are locked into a lot of DIY work. This board is a good source for a lot of the information you may need - either now or in the future. Stick around if you like - see how it goes.

Jaybee

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        If I had the book smarts I would be a judge. Truly believe in two sides to each story. But I don't so I'm here in life. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with a contractor 10 years ago. What you listed as happening to you if true, were legal grounds to an immediate stoppage of work. With civil penalties in your favor to be awarded as well. All in a court of law. A true pain indeed. But your only recourse.
        Sorry if you thought you post would load the board with similar stories of woe, but most on board share stories of improvements and helpful knowledge. Nor will I apologize for that one bad apple in the market isle. As rightly pointed out this occurs everyday in all situations in life. Live and learn, sometimes the very hard way...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1410 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        first time seeing your show during sunday coffee & HGTV channel sufing. S1/Ep02: NJ roof and kitchen renovations demonstrated significant failures during the investigations with enough disparaging remarks cast toward the previous contractor that I expected textbook repair procedures.
        disappointed to see many 'butcher roofer' techniques repeated with respect to new PVC roof, railing and masonry stucco renovations.
        no solid perimeter wood curbing to support eave metal/gutter assemblies. wrought iron rail bases fastened directly through membrane without a water-tight assembly. gasket sealant is hack work at best. lack of solid blocking will also minimize structural integrity of railing over time. densdeck fastening should be min 12 per 4x8 board..clearly a quick field spec'd without regard to manufacturer details..what happened off camera??

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        what happened off camera??

Just about everything. You cannot learn nor judge building techniques on a How-to TV show. You see 20 minutes of highly edited footage of a project that took weeks to complete. Those 20 minutes are designed to entertain, there is no way to accurately show all the proper steps in such a short amount of edited air time.

Jaybee