DIY Message Boards
having one of those days

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8921916776/m/1603938477

Oct 27, 2013, 06:38 AM
Frodo
having one of those days
I.m having one of those days...got a call last night from a PO customer...one of the guys, installed a k-sink faucet. but left the sprayer hose wrapped around the supply piping ...so....when you pull the sprayer up
it does not come up....%^^$#@$%^^&&*
you really installed a faucet and did not ck it to see if it worked???? how about i give you a paycheck, and do not see if there is anything in the bank to cover it???????????
blood pressure at defcon 3 this am....be ok around 7am....coffee...need coffee....
singing dawg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Oct 27, 2013, 10:38 AM
GardenSprite
Hey, Frodo, you came to the right place to get some support. Sometimes what people do makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Are you feeling better now? How many cups of coffee did it take? I assume you added something a little stronger as well, just for the flavor, of course?

Wish I could think of a funny story to share or one of the many examples I've encountered of people who don't follow up on their work. That's why companies hawk teamwork so much - the better workers end up covering for the lazy ones.

Maybe spend a day outside in your garden, by your lily pond, or in your deer blind and let nature offer some calm.

And if it makes you feel better, have something decadent...like chocolate...like chocolate mousse.
Oct 30, 2013, 09:18 PM
Frodo
im ok,,,just venting..sometimes its better to vent here than on somsbody...everybody makes mistakes..
i know what happened...5 pm, and i wanna go home
thats what happened..
came to a decision
gonna close the doors...cant afford the insurance
not going to work 20 hours a week..cant afford to work 40...
unless i do it all under the table, pay cash,
aint that some chit, in order to stay in business i gotta break the law
what the rest of you guys gonna do?

Oct 30, 2013, 10:02 PM
Jaybee
Frodo - I know it often sucks but there's always a way to make it happen. Sometimes it's growing your company bigger but more often the key is going back to the basics that you know will work. There is always the chance that you'll have bad customers, bad employees or bad projects - I suspect that you have been around long enough to have a gut feeling as to the bad stuff.

So the simple advice is: Listen to your gut. Taylor what you do - either the type of jobs or the clients that you agree to work for. If you do hire employees, be selective there too. Choose people who you would be comfortable with working in your own home. Pay them a wage they can live with - just like you need something that is 'more than just a job' so do they. To manage to pay for all that, charge what you are really worth, set your fees to be compensated for being good at your job and doing it well. Sure, you'll lose some jobs to lower bidders, but when some of those same jobs go wrong then that lost client may come back to you. In the long run a company that has a reputation of doing things correctly and fairly will get much more business than the low bidders.

Easy, right? Not at all, it's really, really hard. Sometimes you can do everything right and yet the end result is still all wrong. The key is to stick to what you know works. If that is too limiting to make a living then carefully expand in to other areas. Just keep things to a size that you can control.

Good luck. Ask anything.

Jaybee
Oct 30, 2013, 11:33 PM
GardenSprite
Frodo...remembering your post on converting your mother's living room to a bedroom....are you taking care of her and trying to work as well?

If you are, be prepared to encounter a lot of frustration, conflict, feeling overwhelmed and other feelings. What you may feel now wouldn't necessarily be reflective of what you would feel without the caregiving responsibilies (assuming you're still handling them.)

And one of the biggest feelings of conflict and commitment relates to balancing work and caring for someone - sometimes it just seems too much to do everything that's facing you.

Take a day off tomorrow and spend some time doing something in nature - go fishing, pick flowers, or better yet, do some cooking which you apparently really enjoy. Just don't think about working.

Hope you feel better after some respite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Nov 01, 2013, 12:13 PM
swschrad
think Bambi. it's that time of year. had to stop on the way to work for a flock of wild turkeys crossing the road, 10 of them.

dock the installer for half the job time, and he/she/it will remember to check next assignment.

they call it "work" because it ain't a party. used to be 12 years ago I had to beg people to wake me up when a big trunk in our non-traditional service areas (out-of-region) went down and the national Internet companies lost customers by the bushel.

and oh, how they called. I would be dialled into some 1200-mile distant switch with one modem, dialled into the office on the other, and working a tech with the cell phone while working the customer call on the home phone. for hours. past 2 am.

until the next call.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Nov 07, 2013, 02:36 PM
Frodo
quote:
Originally posted by swschrad:

dock the installer for half the job time, and he/she/it will remember to check next assignment.

wishfull thinking...can't do that...wage and labor board rules.. been there, done that...got my pee pee slapped

legally, cant do anything...except fire them..
wage and labor board says if they were on the clock, they have to be paid...does not matter if they were not doing there job. you can write an employee up. but you can not deduct there pay, for any reason. if they wreck a truck. and its there fault. you pay the deductible not them.if they break something..you pay..
AND...if you DO hold out of there ck, any money..it will cost you around 2k....plus the money you helt
happened to me over a 500 dollar deductible on a truck that an idiot wrecked..racing another truck
he got the ticket, clearly his fault
i held out the 500 bucks.and got sued..and lost
i am talking hourly employee, not contract labor
altho,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Nov 09, 2013, 05:44 PM
swschrad
sigh. guess you gotta keep on keeping on, then.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?