DIY Message Boards
Just checking in

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8811916776/m/1833949177

Jul 05, 2013, 02:30 PM
happytobe
Just checking in
Hi Everyone. Hope you are all well. Just finishing a bad bout with the shingles. If you're over 50 and haven't gotten the shingles vaccine, do it ASAP. You do not want to experience shingles. I will be getting mine after this episode ends. You can get them more than once in different parts of the body.

Now, about scrapbooking, hope you are all finding (making) time to scrap. One of our fellow scrappers is doing even more than that. Clarinda is opening a scrapbook store! She will now have what she's always wanted, a place to hold crops so that she can enjoy the social aspect of our hobby. Yeah Clarinda.

Take care, and hope you all enjoyed Shirley's recipe swap.

Marsha

Happy to be in God's service.
Jul 07, 2013, 04:32 PM
crafdragon
Hi Marsha! I'm checking in too because you started it! Razz
That is so Exciting Clarinda has a store! Does she have a website we could shop at too? Being able to have crops is also one of the best things a scrapper could wish for in my opinion Smile I miss having people to visit with while I scrap, but not too many scrappers around here and the crops are always at night(after dark). I am not a night driver.
***GO CLARINDA!!***
I have known people who got shingles, cared for a couple a few years ago and felt so bad for them. They recovered but it was a long while. Skin is the largest organ we have and we need to take good care of it all to be comfortable and healthy...that goes for people who are younger also! Just saying because I like having great people to visit with here Big Grin

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!
Jul 07, 2013, 11:54 PM
happytobe
Hi Janet. Clarinda's store will not open 'til early fall, Sept. I think. I'm not sure she has even named it yet, though she's getting pretty close. I'll let her give the details when she checks in. Hear that Clarinda? Are you working on any SB projects? I watched a Youtube video about making a card with an acrylic front, and now I'm waiting for a package of 12 x 12 acrylic sheets from Oriental Trading Co. so I can make the card with a different motif for my granddaughter Here's the link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLHNK2ri_8

My skin is recovering nicely from the shingles sores, but the nerve pain is going to be with me for a while. Last night and this morning was pretty stressful. But as with all things, this too shall pass.

Hope you are all doing well.

Marsha

Happy to be in God's service.
Jul 15, 2013, 10:30 PM
Vianna
Hello Ladies! So happy about Clarinda being able to open a store, and Clarinda, if you read this, I wish you much success!
I continue to do my digital 4x6 layouts (for my Daily Life album) and in this way continue to tell my story. It's mostly pictures of my dog, my husband, and the occasional inanimate object ... My 96 yo mother doesnt appear as often anymore; as her dementia advances, she's no longer herself, or interested in pictures. It's very sad, and difficult to care for too but .. we do what we must do, put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward. Scrapbooking and journaling helps keep me somewhat sane.
Enjoy the summer, ladies - and stay healthy. Hopefully we can continue to stay occasionally in touch on this board. Best wishes to to everyone,
Vianna
Jul 16, 2013, 10:05 PM
crafdragon
Vianna, I'm Sorry to hear your Mom is having dementia troubles. My Auntie was in her 80's when hers started and she basically remembered things from her childhood, but not current things. It was so sad as her memory had been so sharp before it started. I cared for her till 2006 when she went to Heaven, she was 90. She told me things all about the farm she and my Dad and their family grew up on. Stuff Dad didn't remember either, named specific horses they had and a lot of the chickens names(they had 200!). I thought it was really cute. Her hands weren't real steady but we would color together pics of cats and dogs and floral pics, things she said she liked. Then we would talk as we did that, I learned who the neighbors were back then and things like that. But Auntie loved looking at pics from back then and she named the people she recognized. Told me what year her older brother got his car in one pic. Maybe older pics may interest your Mom? Just thought I would offer that if it may help Smile My small dog would come and visit sometimes also which was a special treat as she loved dogs, but dogs were not allowed to stay in the residence so could only visit.
Take Care Vianna and keep up your digi scrapping it saves memories as well as regular scrapping Wink

Janet Smile

Aug 01, 2013, 02:48 PM
tlc3plus
Hi all... I am checking in and thanks for the encouragement! I did have a hard time naming the store...I wanted something catchy for the name... Snap Snip Scrap... with a big S and the rest of the words stacked up next to it...well my dd read it one day like... nap nip crap...so that blew that name for me. I finally decided on Clarinda's Corner Scrapbook Store... we are on a corner of the road and I will be in the corner of the building. ! I have only 4 week to get everything ready... we are hanging sheet rock running new wires etc... got 1/2 done working on the other 1/2.

I got all my stock ordered... I just need to get a POS point of sale program before everything comes in so I can get it all entered.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs and strength to you!

Good to catch up with the rest of you all!

Hi Marsha... telling on me ...!

Clarinda

Scrappin Done in 2010
8 1/2 x 11 -
12 x 12 -11
cards -12
altered note books-14
title swap - 35

Aug 03, 2013, 05:38 PM
Vianna
Hello Ladies! To Janet: - Thank you for the words of comfort and for sharing your experience with me. It isnt unlike mine, except my mother doesnt talk about the past (she lost her brother in the Holocaust & it's something she never talks about or her life as a young girl). The biggest problem right now is short-term memory & an inability to concentrate. It's like Groundhog Day every ten minutes, very sad really, and maddening to me because it's always the same questions, over and over. One reason why I scrap all these photos & tell (almost) daily stories is because she looks at them and it helps her to remain involved with what's going on around her. And to think this woman had a PhD in German Literature and read a couple of books every week ...

To Clarinda: - So happy to hear thwe store will open soon. I have no doubt its A LOT of working getting it all ready. The way your daughter perceived the store name actually made me laugh; it might be fun to go with it because of it. People remember it. We had a video rental place around here years ago called Mega FLICKS that everyone miles around know about. The font used for its name, and the fact that the F and the I where placed very close together created the appearance of that ubiquitous four letter word ... And that billboard was photographed by many area tourists just because of it. Smile I hope you'll post a photo when it's opened. And best of luck to you. I hope your internet business picks up too (I will consider you for sure because I mostly shop the internet now since the closest local store closed). And be sure to have a store blog: It's good to photograph new product & lines and projects that your customers make with them. I noticed that people like staying in touch with their store or favorite design-team member thru blog posts. Once again, best wishes (and lots of energy!).
Vianna
Sep 23, 2013, 12:18 PM
Shirl505
HI Ladies, just wanted to let you know that my laptop is dead and that I have to put my PC in the shop to have it cleaned up. Hopefully I will see you soon. Don't seap without me. Have a good week.

Shirley
I never walk alone, He is always with me.

Sep 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Vianna
I'm still around, Shirley. Just chirp when you're back in business Cool
I'll be posting a few more of my digi 'layouts' soon.

Vianna
Sep 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
crafdragon
Hi Vianna!! There are still a few of us running around here Smile Good to see you!!

Janet Smile

Sep 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
Shirl505
Vianna, I'm Sorry to hear your Mom is having dementia troubles. My ex's Aunt had that same problem with his uncle.

Clarinda, have you got your store up and running? You dared me to come up there, so PM me the directions and I will goggle you.

OK, I'm chirpping away here. I am back up in business here. I hope everyone had a good summer and ready to do some swapping. My mind has to get my brain working to get some good ideas so ya'll get in the swapping mood.

Shirley

Sep 29, 2013, 06:26 PM
crafdragon
Hi Shirley! I am always ready to swap just have to be careful with what and when Wink I am having a hard time keeping up with real life sometimes so I DON'T want to become a non swapper Smile I was just admiring the last swap goodies yesterday and it is so much fun! To me it's like having a magic treasure chest and I look at a person's creation and think about who made it and how fun that swap was and all...yes I do talk in circles sometimes!! Hahahaha! But I have FUN!! Smile
I am Happy you're doing well and ready to create! Me too!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crafdragon,

Janet Smile

Sep 30, 2013, 10:23 PM
Shirl505
OK Janet!! We must be long distance sisters Smile You took the words right out of my mouth. Some days I repeat the day before and wonder what was it that I did.!!! We need to get Marsha, Vianna, Vickie and Kathie back on the board.

Any idea of what kind of swap you want to do? Some ideas I had were page toppers, season boarders, more tags. What do you think??

Shirley

Oct 01, 2013, 01:02 AM
crafdragon
Those are Great ideas! I was wondering if anyone else likes to make ATCs? They are small and easy to do. But I was thinking too that maybe an ornament type of paper craft? It wouldn't HAVE to be Chrismassy if someone wanted to do one in any colors or designs, like to hang in a window or from a mirror? It would be neat to get something like that from everyone! There are a number of ways to make them. Or some kind of stamped something because I love to rubber stamp Big Grin

Maybe I am overwhelming you with too many ideas? I just get excited about swapping Roll Eyes But I don't mean to scare anybody!!

That would be wonderful if all those ladies swapped with us too!! The more the merrier, you know!? C'mon Girls Let's Swap some Fun Creations!! Smile

Janet Smile

Oct 04, 2013, 09:47 PM
Kay-reeda2
Just checking in after reading your post.Sorry so many are having health problems and would say WE are all getting old but I would have to include myself too.LOL.I retired in August but have been trying to do some cleaning and getting ready to scrap. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Martha
Oct 05, 2013, 04:02 PM
crafdragon
Hi Martha!! Smile
I feel older by the day sometimes, but other days I am just a grown up kid!! So if that evens out then I am OK with it! LOL!!

It's fun to have so many people checking in and ready to play in the paper!! YAY!!

Janet Smile

Oct 05, 2013, 04:51 PM
Kay-reeda2
I tell my daughters that I'm old enough to have dessert first if I want to.LOL And I love to play with paper and like crayons too.
Oct 05, 2013, 05:21 PM
Shirl505
HI Ladies. Hope all are getting better. Does any one want to host the next swap? I will but if any wants to, go for it!! The due date can be due as far as the 4th of Dec. If all swaps are in before that, great, they will get mailed early.

1. Does anyone want to do a secret sister swap.
2. Does anyone want to do a card sawp.
3. Does anyone want to do a tag swap.
4. Does anyone want to do ??? swap

Or we can do one of the above and whatever suggestions of what ya'll come up with.

Do we have enough to do a BINGO game. I have played this with just 4 people

Do we have enough to do a Pay It Forward game.

Do you have a game you would like to play.

Think about it Big Grin Big Grin

Shirley