All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Laminate wood flooring Direction
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Laminate wood flooring Direction Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My husband will be installing laminate wood flooring throughout our living room, dining room, family room, and kitchen (approx 1000 sq. ft). We are unsure of which direction we should go because of the large and somewhat open space. My initial thought is to go lengthwise as you walk through the front door. This leads to the kitchen then to the family room which all is 41 ft long. Is it ok to go that long with wood planks that snap? There would only be a couple plank widths that would extend that far. I also feel this direction would make the space feel longer and more inviting. Or, should we go perpendicular to the front door? The flooring would then run parallel to the front windows and the window in the dining room. This may make the space feel cut off when walking in the door though. Plus, it would mean that the wood planks would not go lengthwise in the small hallways we have. Any help or advice would be great. We would go with the lengthwise option if we knew for sure it was ok to go as long as 41 continuous feet with the snap laminate wood planks. Thanks

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You should read the instructions that came with the flooring. When I laid mine, I think the limit was 25 feet. Not an issue in my teeny house, but still. Some of the more experience layers on this site would probably say ok to 41 feet. It would also depend on how much the humidity in your house fluctuates. The issue is expansion and buckling, so you want to be sure this is good. We dry laid ours both ways and I really don't think is mattered much visually.

Posts: 2488 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Oh, and is it over wood or concrete? Floating or glue down? Which way do the joists run?

posted Hide Post
        It is over concrete and they will be floating. Unsure of the joists as we just purchased the home and will be closing in a couple of weeks.

posted Hide Post
        We do also live in Florida so we do have a lot of humidity. Thanks for your help.

posted Hide Post
        If it is concrete you don't have joists.

This is something you should check with the manufacturer on. The more your humidity varies, the more an issue it will be. Also be sure to read the instructions about leaving the boxes in the room prior to installing - sometimes as long as a week. You want the product to have the same temp and humidity as the room you are installing them in.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by mosternaz:
        You should read the instructions that came with the flooring. When I laid mine, I think the limit was 25 feet. Not an issue in my teeny house, but still. Some of the more experience layers on this site would probably say ok to 41 feet. It would also depend on how much the humidity in your house fluctuates. The issue is expansion and buckling, so you want to be sure this is good. We dry laid ours both ways and I really don't think is mattered much visually.

I'll be one of those guys who will say that 41' will be fine. Provided that you:

1. Give the flooring several days minimum to acclimate to the house environment prior to install
        2. Leave a decent space on the ends for expansion & contraction. If you are running base (5/8" plus qtr round (3/4") you should be able to leave a 5/8" to 3/4" space between the ends of the wood and the wall framing.

Jaybee

Posts: 10337 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee, I think I asked the same question when I laid mine and you answered it for me too!