All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Expansion breaks--what are they? do I need them?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Expansion breaks--what are they? do I need them? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of lkloc
        posted
        Installing an engineered click bamboo floor in LR, DR, small foyer and hall--570 sf. I thought I was all set but just read in the instructions the need for expansion breaks. What!? All the videos I've watched on YouTube and posts I've read have not mentioned or shown this. And I'm having trouble finding info on it. I need to know if I need to worry about this and if so, 1. what it looks like so I can visualize it, and 2. how to do it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        All floating floors will expand and contract with temperature and humidity changes. What you are trying to avoid is having a section of floor make contact with the walls on opposite sides of the room, or through a doorway. If the floor is installed too tightly then when it expands it will cause the floor to buckle.

Manufacturer installation instructions advise leaving 1/2" around all perimeters of the floor and installing a floating threshold to cover an expansion gap where the floor passes through a doorway.

While I understand the need for expansion room, I have found that as long as the floor is installed in a temperature controlled home that expansion is minimal. We have installed many floating floors in multiple rooms where we have continued the floor unbroken through doorways - still leaving expansion room under all base molding and shoe. We've not had any problems with any of these installations.

Jaybee

Posts: 10294 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post