All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Kitchen and Bathroom flooring
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Kitchen and Bathroom flooring Sign In/Join 
        posted
        What is the best material to use for a Kitchen and Bathroom floor? I have two elderly parents both with walkers so it needs to be slip resistant, durable, and inexpensive.....suggestions?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I think the posters here who could advise on that might first want to know what the existing floor is, so they could also advise on how to change it to something that's slip resistant. Could you give some details on what your existing flooring is? Photos would help.

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the current floor is the peel and stick tile. It is starting to crack and chip with the increased use of the walkers~ Thank you for any tips/suggestions~

floor pic

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for posting the photo. Those are lovely tiles, in a pretty design.

Few more questions...

Did you lay down the tiles yourself? Do you know what's undearneath them, i.e., any other flooring, etc.?

And do the walkers have wheels on all 4 legs or just the front legs?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Best would be a no-slip vinyl - made for exactly what you are looking for.

Jaybee

Posts: 10338 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It has been so long, I am not sure what is underneath. One walker has wheels one has wheels only in the front~

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        The reason I asked about the wheels is that I've noticed sometimes there's more pressure put on the front wheels because the person relies on them more when the rear legs aren't wheeled. I was wondering if there was a possibility that unequal pressure on the floors was causing some breakage.