All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Laminate Tips Needed....
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Laminate Tips Needed.... Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all!

I've done laminate before but it's been years. I've bought my first home which is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, 1080 sq. ft. I am doing laminate throughout the entire home minus the bathroom. I was watching some videos on youtube, someone made a good point; that each room expands and retracts differently. So, the entire house flooring should not be connected? Using floor trim pieces at each doorway of each bedroom?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Conventional wisdom says to make a break at each doorway, allowing a threshold to cover any expansion and contraction.

That said, we did a house about 4 years ago where our homeowner really didn't want any thresholds. We were using a single plank, 4" wide laminate that was going to cover every room in the house except for bathrooms and the kitchen. A total of just under 1,500 SF. We left plenty of expansion room at the outside edges that was covered by base and shoe moldings but ran the floor continuously across all the rooms with no breaks and no thresholds.

I've been back to this house many times in all seasons since the install and there are no issues. No floor buckling and no exposed edges anywhere. The only complication about the whole thing was that in one or two cases the install process through a doorway was tricky - depending on where the the planking broke in relation to the door jamb.

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post