All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Flooring Dips
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Flooring Dips Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a 1970's era raised ranch with hardwood flooring. Running from one side to the other I have a dip in the floor about an 1/8 -1/4 dip. It starts just beyond the steel I-beam that supports the floor joist's( the dip occurs on the joists running from the beam to the rear of my house.)

In my utility room I can see where the front and rear joists meet up over the beam. There is a gap between the subfloor and the top of the rear floor joist about 1/8-3/16", but no space between the subfloor and the front floor joist at the very same spot above the beam

Two things I have noticed, the subfloor is 3/8 of an inch and the joints for that subfloor are right above the Ibeam which I wouldn't think would help the situation.
        Any Ideas as to why my floor seems to be doing this would be very helpful as this is driving me nuts!
        Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: airdbeck23,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Sounds like you have found the problem - you have a 1/8 to 3/16 gap with the same size dip showing above. Not an easy fix though. Sounds like you have slight dip across the center of your joist span. This in turn will raise the joist ends - which will transfer up to your finished floor.

You could try adding a central beam that runs under the centerline of all the joists on that one side. Jack things up slightly to raise the low point of the dip to try to bring the raised ends down. Note the word "try". Something like this happens over years of slight settling or bowing. It's very hard to correct such a small amount of lift.

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee;
        Thanks for your response. I figured it wasn't going to be an easy fix at all. With hardwood I was wondering if a removal of the damaged or sunken areas and adding a leveling compound would help? My other option would be to leave as is and move over to carpet with a nice thick pad.

posted Hide Post
        I'd first shoot the beam with a laser to see if it's bowed. if so, you will have to proceed really carefully with that support post, over a nice solid new footer pour. a bowed steel beam means something is seriously amiss already, and attempting to strong-arm it straight could yield new fun projects.

I'm just a hack DIYer, but if I saw that in my house, I'd have it professionally examined. class-A structure, you know. I respect the heck out of that, because nothing else will be right or stay right if the core support is hosed.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5860 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'll try that. I have access to a few different laser tools at work I could try. Ahh I hope the beams not bowed!!
        Thanks for the idea to try it though!