All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Stair redo surprise
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Stair redo surprise Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We want to remove the carpet from our stairs, but when I took a peek at the bottom stair, I found that the riser is plywood. Is there an inexpensive way to cover the risers with some type of material? I don't want to buy new risers and treads now, I want to be able to work with what I have. A contractor told me you could buy "skins" at Lowes, but I've never seen them.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        most risers and treads in a builders-grade staircase are particleboard. you can't polish that one. I would hold off on the project if you're a little tight right now, assuming the carpet is not worn enough to be a tripping hazard.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5727 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I know it's been said before but you can't put lipstick on that pig.

Stairs that are purpose built to be covered in carpet have no reason to be made of more expensive materials. The down-side is that there is no way to make the raw stair material look good.

You can rebuild the stairs but not cheaply.

Jaybee

Posts: 10301 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        per basement step/riser done in oak, I spent about $25 in lumber alone. everything was on sale, or it would have been about $35 per stair. then add on the stain and polyurethane. the treads were 5/4 jointed material because the cost of straight wood would have been just awful.

so there's one way to estimate. any solid hardwood will cost at least that. you don't want to make too many mistakes at that rate.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5727 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post