DIY Message Boards
Extending Split Level Floor

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/9213908967

Apr 17, 2013, 11:49 AM
ChrisDIY
Extending Split Level Floor
Hello, I would like to extend my second level floor that over looks the foyer. I have a large foyer that has access to the front door and the garage door. I would like to cover the entire space overhead but I am not sure how to exactly. Any advise?

Apr 17, 2013, 11:50 AM
ChrisDIY
Different View

Apr 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
ChrisDIY
Another view

Apr 17, 2013, 06:10 PM
Jaybee
Since you asked: Call in a pro. What you want to do can be done but it takes someone with some structural knowledge. Just from the pics it looks like you will have to allow for a stairwell to keep headroom above the stairs and you may have to do some form of set-back header and well to keep away from the window above the front door.

It's a good project that will give you some more living space at the cost of darkening down your flyer. But it's not a good DIY project unless you have some massive DIY skills.

Jaybee
Apr 18, 2013, 08:36 AM
ChrisDIY
Thanks for the input Jaybee.
I did speak with the Manufacturer of the home and they did give me some input as well. My plan here is to place a support column in the middle of the staircase. Then I will sister some of the joists to support the newly added floor. I plan to L-shape the floor so that there is some head room coming up the stairs. Because of the height difference of my existing floor and the top of the doors, I will need to make the new floor 2 to 3 steps higher and the floor will span completely covering the foyer. I will in the future, replace the window above the front entry with a larger window and at a higher position and a taller.

For the foyer, I plan on embedding a lot of lights to brighten it up.