All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Protecting Carpet
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Protecting Carpet Sign In/Join 
        Picture of sbling
        posted
        Living in an apartment with carpet everywhere. Hoping not to lose my security deposit, so I'm looking for a way to protect the dining room area from spills. I was originally thinking about something like a bamboo rug, but I know that it'll just feel weird under the feet and probably won't be very effective. Is there a way to reinforce a hard rug like a bamboo rug or a way to do cheap temporary flooring?

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Throw rugs, go to any cheap store like Big Lots, Ollie's, ECT.
        Someone had to be nuts to install carpet in a dining room.

joecaption

Posts: 18046 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Snap together laminate could also possibly work, if the carpet is low nap and not too thick. The existing carpet becomes the "pad", and the laminate is laid on top. (if the pad is thick, soft and cushy, this might not be a good idea, especially with heavy furniture)
        An artist friend did this in one of her bedrooms to create at a "painting area" and protect the carpet, and she reused it in another house later. It came up when she moved out, and no one was the wiser.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of sbling
        posted Hide Post
        I agree wholeheartedly that installing carpet in the dining room was idiotic, but I guess it's too late to complain. Is there a way I could (secretly) bolt down some laminate flooring through the carpet or maybe just some wood to go underneath a hard carpet? I'm thinking like putting down a big flat piece of wood and screwing it into the floor so it laid as flat as possible on the floor then putting a pad and a rug on top... Or is that just recipe for tripping disaster/guarantee to lose security deposit?

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Very bad idea.
        #1, laminate is a floating floor and is never suppose to be attached to anything.
        #2, Ever seen what happens when you screw through a carpet? It's likely to catch a thread and cause a run in the carpet.

joecaption

Posts: 18046 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'm on board with throw rugs over the carpet, and immediately clean up spills.

carpet through the dining area was de rigeur when I was growing up, we never thought twice about it. wipe things up, no problem with synthetics. unless you have kids in the terrible twos or fearsome fwees who throw stainy tomatoey stuff around, don't worry yourself to death about it. rent a steam cleaner before move-out, and just live life.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5867 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Another possibility are the flexible or hard plastic floor protectors placed underneath chairs in offices. You might have to get a few of them and fit them in.

I assume that over time there would be some pile compression of the carpet, but the plastic would be easy to clean up, and perhaps steam cleaning the carpet when you're ready to leave would raise the pile. I don't know too much about carpets with pile as mine was very flat with no pile at all.

Posts: 1983 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post