All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Laminate or enginered flooring
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Laminate or enginered flooring Sign In/Join 
        posted
        would it be better to use engineered flooring for my great room. We have all sand around our house and I am concerned the sand might scratch the floor.If I use engineered it can be repaired.

Posts: 152 | Location: michigan | Registered: Nov 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Neither one can really be repaired. Both are laminates, engineered flooring just has a real wood top layer. However, that layer is too thin for all but the most basic refinishing. For either laminates or engineered, the only real repair is to replace the damaged piece. Not really possible if it's a glue together, merely a hassle if it's a snap together floor.

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        my wood laminat floor has gaps in spots how do I fix it

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Welcome to the boards bigdon. First off, it's usually better to start a new thread for a new topic.

That said, a little more info will help. Do you have gaps just on the short ends of some planks? If so, then you can remove the base trim at the end of each plank run and by using a pry bar you may be able to pop the planks back together.

If the gaps are on the long runs of the planks, then you have to take the floor apart from the finished end until you reach the bad spots so that the planks can be lifted and put back together.

All the above is assuming you have a snap together floating floor. If it's glue down or glue together then you are looking at a whole new floor.

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Do you have glue 2gether or snap-2gether floating? Also, can you tell me the brand and thickness?
        How long have you had the floor?
        I can't tell you how to fix it but your problem is one of my major concerns for whether or not to use laminate in 1200sqft of remodel. I've seen several homes who have laminate snap-together floors and the short ends seem to separate. ---Yikes!--- How long have you had your flooring?
        quote:
        Originally posted by bigdon:
        my wood laminat floor has gaps in spots how do I fix it

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post