DIY Message Boards
Laminate or enginered flooring

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/8863999867

Mar 19, 2013, 08:38 AM
cjt
Laminate or enginered flooring
would it be better to use engineered flooring for my great room. We have all sand around our house and I am concerned the sand might scratch the floor.If I use engineered it can be repaired.
Mar 19, 2013, 08:58 AM
Jaybee
Neither one can really be repaired. Both are laminates, engineered flooring just has a real wood top layer. However, that layer is too thin for all but the most basic refinishing. For either laminates or engineered, the only real repair is to replace the damaged piece. Not really possible if it's a glue together, merely a hassle if it's a snap together floor.

Jaybee
Mar 26, 2013, 09:28 PM
bigdon
my wood laminat floor has gaps in spots how do I fix it
Mar 27, 2013, 12:25 AM
Jaybee
Welcome to the boards bigdon. First off, it's usually better to start a new thread for a new topic.

That said, a little more info will help. Do you have gaps just on the short ends of some planks? If so, then you can remove the base trim at the end of each plank run and by using a pry bar you may be able to pop the planks back together.

If the gaps are on the long runs of the planks, then you have to take the floor apart from the finished end until you reach the bad spots so that the planks can be lifted and put back together.

All the above is assuming you have a snap together floating floor. If it's glue down or glue together then you are looking at a whole new floor.

Jaybee
Apr 17, 2013, 07:58 AM
GreenBasket
Do you have glue 2gether or snap-2gether floating? Also, can you tell me the brand and thickness?
How long have you had the floor?
I can't tell you how to fix it but your problem is one of my major concerns for whether or not to use laminate in 1200sqft of remodel. I've seen several homes who have laminate snap-together floors and the short ends seem to separate. ---Yikes!--- How long have you had your flooring?
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon:
my wood laminat floor has gaps in spots how do I fix it