All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Marble over vinyl ????
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Marble over vinyl ???? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have wood subfloors in my upstairs bathrooms. It is a Jack and Jill style bath. The sink area has carpet, and the tub/toilet area has vinyl. I want to tile over the whole thing with 12" marble tiles. I know the carpet will com up easily, but I think pulling up the vinyl will damage the subfloor. I would like to just pull up the carpet, then put Ditra Mat over the whole thing (including vinyl) and then tile over that. Will that work?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you're not going to damage the subfloor, but the vinyl shifting and squirrling around could damage the marble. the toilet has to come up and be repositioned on top of the marble in any case, so why not get a big ol' remover blade and get up the vinyl?

you'll need a spacer ring or two and longer bolts to adapt the toilet neck/wax seal for the task. do yourself a favor, and clean everything up nicely, then use pure clear silicone sealant between the spacer rings and the closet flange on the floor to prevent leaks under the marble.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5500 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Remove the vinyl. Doesn't matter if there is some minor damage tot he subfloor as you will be going over all of it anyway with backerboard or ditra.

Vinyl will flex, even if it's just a little. Marble or tile will not flex, not at all. The two together is a bad idea.

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Any real stone tile needs 0 deflection.
        I would not be using Marble in a bathroom on a floor, to porous. Ceramic or porcelain would be better choices.
        Often times there's 1/4" louon or plywood under vinyl, that would also have to go.
        Particle board is also a big no no.
        Some of those DIY shows make it look like you can tile over a dirt floor if you want to.
        No true.
        Very important to check out the floor joist size, spacing, spans, thickness of subflooring, type of subflooring and underlayment.

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It's advised not to install tile directly over vinyl. Try to remove the vinyl, at least the top have, it may tear but if the padded top can be removed, this will help in the rest of the preparation.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post