All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Removing kitchen top subfloor to add hardwood level with dining room
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Removing kitchen top subfloor to add hardwood level with dining room Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I would like to install hardwood floors in our kitchen that would be the same height as the existing hardwood floors in the dining room. The problem is that I discovered the kitchen subfloor is higher than the existing hardwood in the dining wood. I believe this is because of a double subfloor in the kitchen to make the transition of the linoleum tile in the kitchen match the height of the dining room.

Can I remove the top subfloor to install the hardwood and still keep the integrity of the subfloor once most of the top layer is removed? I do not want to remove the existing cabinets so I want to cut the top subfloor out everywhere but under the cabinets. What tool do I use to cut the subfloor close to the kickplate of the cabinet -- the kickplate of the cabinet is recessed about 3 inches so I can't get a circular saw in there.

Has anyone done this before and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Question:
        What is the best way to remove the top subfloor in the kitchen except for under the existing cabinets to allow hardwood level in the kitchen to match the existing hardwood in the dining room

Choices:
        Remove kitchen top subfloor
        Keep double subfloor under cabinets only

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There are close-cut saws like jamb saws that should be able to get right up to the kickplate. As this is likely a once-in-a-lifetime project for you, rent one.

As long as there is still a 3/4" subfloor remaining it will be OK to install the wood floor on top. To remove the rest of the subfloor, set your circular saw to the EXACT depth of the top layer. Cut 2' x 2' squares by making long cuts all across the room in both directions. Then pry up the 2x2's.

Jaybee

Posts: 10111 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee. What are the chances the top subfloor is also glued? Is this going to cause a lot of problems in removing it, and what are the chances of ruining the bottom subfloor. I realize that more work will be needed to insure a clean, level surface once the top subfloor is removed, but that ok - work never hurt anyone - but I sure do not want to ruin what remains.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post