All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Glue short ends to prevent separation? -I've seen several homes over the years whose
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Glue short ends to prevent separation? -I've seen several homes over the years whose Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I've seen several homes of friends and family who have laminate installed. The only home that did not have separation in the short end gaps was one that was the glue-down Pergo. ALL others have separation on the short ends. A floor installer suggested gluing the short ends (NOT the long sections) of laminate to prevent this even when using no-glue laminate. I'd like to install laminate in 1,200 square feet of a remodel but I am afraid of the short-end separation. (By the way, all homes used different manufactures which tells me that the separation of the short piece ends are common among all snap together manufacturers. And these were installed for 5 years +). I mean, who wants a laminate floor if every room in your house will eventually separate on the short ends. Looks bad! Would gluing only the short ends of a snap-together, no-glue floor prevent the separation that seems to be so common in no-glue floors?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I've got to say that I've installed hundreds of snap together floating floors and have only seen separating on the ends in two cases:

1. The really cheap 'three plank per piece' $1.29 per SF product
        2. Any floating floor that has had water damage.

The good floating floors, especially the styles that use an individual plank, have a lock system on the ends that keeps them together. Take a look at some Schon product sold as Lumber Liquidators. It has a very solid lock on the ends that will not separate.

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you can also lay out your flooring so there are no shorties or 6-inch cuts on the ends.

I very much liked Schon flooring, we almost bought it, but something else came on sale first.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5500 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I've heard you can glue the locking tongues together with wood glue, if that's what you're referring to.

Posts: 2 | Location: Seattle | Registered: Apr 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sounds like there may be different types of planks..the ones i've seen only have the lock on the long sections. Do some have locks on the short sections too? Since you've laid so many floors, can u suggest several that are the most affordable? Thanks4your comments..

quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        I've got to say that I've installed hundreds of snap together floating floors and have only seen separating on the ends in two cases:

1. The really cheap 'three plank per piece' $1.29 per SF product
        2. Any floating floor that has had water damage.

The good floating floors, especially the styles that use an individual plank, have a lock system on the ends that keeps them together. Take a look at some Schon product sold as Lumber Liquidators. It has a very solid lock on the ends that will not separate.

posted Hide Post
        I thought about gluing only the short sections that do not have a locking component since the homes I referred to only separated in these sections. I was wondering if anyone has done this with success. thanks4your comments...
        quote:
        Originally posted by Seattle2k:
        I've heard you can glue the locking tongues together with wood glue, if that's what you're referring to.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Most will lock on both the long side and the short ends. The big difference is that the cheap stuff does not lock in easily. It's easy enough to lock in the long side, or the short side but to do both requires beating with a tapping block. The end result is that the ends do go together but the locking tabs have been destroyed - so they can pull apart.

It's hard to recommend an inexpensive and good quality floating floor. For this product, you certainly get what you pay for. Very consistent in that the more you pay the better product you will get. Generally, look for a floor that is set up as single planks - stay away from the 12" x 48" styles that have a pattern of 3" or 2-1/4" wide planks embossed on the surface. If you are aware of how a hardwood floor should look, then you realize that this style basically looks like crap.

Once you get into the $2.50 / SF range for product you are getting into the better stuff. As I said in my last post, the best thing I can recommend is Schon - a product marketed through Lumber Liquidators. It's my most recommended floating floor and in fact it's what I put in my family room / office addition. While it will run you $4.00 SF for the product itself (plus pad)it's so easy to install that there is some value there - especially if you hire the install out. We can do about 300 SF an hour including irregular cuts.

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you. I looked at .69, .99, 1.29, 1.99 sqft samples (Those beautiful 3 and $4sqft floors are way out of my budget) and I lined them up sideways to look at locking section. WOW, big difference!! The more expensive, the larger the locking component was. I'll be stearing clear of the cheaper stuff and look at the more 'expensive affordable' floor. (Man, those $4 sqft floors are so nice!)