All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    How to remove glued flooring
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How to remove glued flooring Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I installed engineered hardwood floor that is the tongue in groove install. Listening to a show they suggested glueing the tongue in groove for a floating floor. I did that and now I have to remove some of the flooring for a repair. What is the best way to remove it with the least amount of damage to the floor i need to leave in place?

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        good luck with that. you can soak up that section with white (colors bleed and wreck the floor) shop towels with solvent for the glue.

there is a good chance this will also wreck the flooring, too. only way to tell is to try it. perhaps try in the oft-cited "unobtrusive spot" so if you peel back the wood or blow the finish, it's not a big deal to keep it hidden.

otherwise, the news is not good, and when the whole floor gets replaced, don't goldarn glue the joints.

at least you did the floor yourself. so you know what glue was used. put some in a disposable container (rinsed tin can is good, and try solvents, starting with the ubiquitous water, see if you can mix the material and not have it clump or separate. next up for me would be isopropyl alcohol, which is the least likely to be a wrecker for common coatings and commercial laminating adhesives.

mineral spirits would be the next choice.

if you get into petrochemicals or acetone, you are certainly headed to the home center for a pickup full of new flooring.

you will need to totally dry the remaining floor after removing the bad sections. a speed dry with isopropyl works with water, use fans. all solvents are flammable, some are liver-cancer food, so supplement your good ventilation with fans, and pull plugs, shut off pilot lights, and do other sensible precautions to keep from having an ignition source.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5858 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        some glues are soluble in vinigar

Posts: 2589 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the info. Even though it was the bad news I was expecting, I now know what to expect and what I need to do.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would take a circular saw and set it to the thickness of the floor. Then cut down the middle of the floor pieces you want to remove.

Then I'd take the board and twist it upward and hopefully break the glue bond and remove the pieces. If it doesn't work, then I'd think about trying the methods mentioned above.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 890 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post