All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Basement Floor
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Basement Floor Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Need to redo the basement floor after water damage to carpeting. We thought that an epoxy paint would be good but there's too much old mastic on the floorfrom the original linoleum and it appears that the epoxy won't bond to to that stuff. Now I'm thinking about using "Deck Restore" down there. I know it is formulated for outdoor use, but could it be used in this application? Seems that it would be durable and waterproof, and the rubberized surface would be good for sound absorption and warmth. Opinions?

Posts: 834 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Not a great plan unless your looking to a very rough floor that most likly will not stay stuck.
        What caused the flood? Need to address that first to make sure it never happens again.

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Latest problem stemmed from a broken pipe fitting. We've also gotten wet from washtub overflow, water softener discharge and heavy intense rain. House is 60+ yrs. old, so these things happen. Problem is that floor has no drain and is below main sewer line, so anything that gets in there stays there until we vacuum it out. I took a look at the Rustoleum website and see they also formulate a Restore product for concrete. I'm thinking that might work better than the deck product.

Posts: 834 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        before doing anything else in the basement, I would install drainage pipe, a pit and a pump, and put a floor drain to the pump near those water users. duct tape, a can of glop or two, and closing the door to the basement steps are three things that won't fix the basement. lines, a pit and a pump, and a floor drain are three that might.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5479 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Simon Rex
        posted Hide Post
        You should to fix the drain issue first then come to the floor. If you can arrange to vaccume the pope regularly so then make a concrete floor, otherwise it will make problem in future. In my opinion install the pump for drain all sewer line then only water will not come to floor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Simon Rex,

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        vaccume the pope

Not so sure he will go for that.
        Anyway his robes would keep getting stuck in the hose.

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Joe, you just made my day!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Me too, joe!

Posts: 6859 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        The thought of someone trying to get past the Swiss Guards and into the Vatican with a vacuum cleaner to vacuum the pope is so hilarious that I just can't stop laughing.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Ahhhhhh, now I understand why we are seeing an increase in all those say nothing posts. They don't say anything but they also don't have the tell-tale blue highlighted link. SimonRex and others are just trying to up their post count and post some non-linked posts to look more legit.

Seems like a lot of work for the few hits they may get on these pages.

Jaybee

Posts: 10100 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:
        The thought of someone trying to get past the Swiss Guards and into the Vatican with a vacuum cleaner to vacuum the pope is so hilarious that I just can't stop laughing.

BBBWWWAAAAHHHHAHHHAA.....snort! Sorry, thought I was done laughing at this thread. Guess not.Big Grin

Posts: 6859 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post