All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    armstrong floors and Lowes
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

armstrong floors and Lowes Sign In/Join 
        posted
        i write this after contacting lowes one time and armstrong 4 times and having each company blame the other and haveing no follow up from armstrong. I bought Armstrone Bruce engineered flooring color gunstock oak, i did buy one section 5-7 years ago and the rest of the house last year for about 800 sqr ft total when i ordered the flooring last year i gave the tag from the box off the first boxes of flooring and told Lowes that it needed to match, i was told it would as long as i had the correct tag (which i did. so i installed the flooring in a front room that does not touch any of the older floor looked great but in February i installed the rest of the flooring and low and be hold it did not match. when i called armstrong they said the finsh dad been changed but that both should match. and they sent me the Data Sheet for bothe lots of flooring. I was told that i needed the reciept from both purchases to start and investagation, i do not have my reciept from 7 years ago. but i can not figure out why they won't just come and look at it as Lowes is the only store that sell this product in my area. I have not been treated by either company with any type of customer no less great customer service. i would tell you to think twice befor buying this flooring, and or shopping at lowes for flooring.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Facts:

1. There is going to be a difference in color with two different lot numbers of flooring. Since most floor planks have several variations within them, they will usually match together OK.

2. If one floor was installed over five years ago, there is no way that any flooring will be a perfect match. Considering the change is color over time from sunlight and wear, comparing a five + year old floor to the new product - even if the same name and color - will look like two different floors.

3. If you went to Lowe's, showed them the tag from the box and requested a match, then they did nothing wrong in selling you what they did.

4. If you went to Lowe's, showed them the tag from the box and explained that the existing floor was over five years old then they should have explained that a perfect match would not be possible.

Bottom line here is that you will not be able to match a five to seven year old floor.

Jaybee

Posts: 10086 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes i do understand that there may be some wood difference and maybe some stain differance but the top coat finish is not the same the old product is a gloss finish and the new product is a satin finish i was not clear on that and when the guy's at Lowes pulled a box out from there stock it had both finishes in it. please find the supporting doc's that Armstrong sent me supporting that the floors finish should be the same. someone made a mistake and it was not me. i could accept that the floors might not prefectly match but to have one glossy and one satin is not even close. someone is lying and someone needs to step up and take action the retail cost toLowes would be $1200 and i am sure the cost of the product might be $600 and i'm sure armstrong's cost would be much less. i can only wonder how much bad press will cost them.

posted Hide Post
        file 1

posted Hide Post
        File 2

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I have a hunch you will not like this:

If your file #1 is your old flooring and your file #2 is your new flooring then it looks like you asked them for flooring with "Dura-Luster Plus Low Gloss" finish. They then sold you "Dura-Luster Plus Low Gloss" finish in the new flooring. Both orders also have the same name and same color. Hard to see where they screwed up there.

There are three things that are very possible to cause the difference in finish:

1. Over time and many cleanings the finish on your old floor has changed. It's very possible that the slight crinkled look of a satin finish can be worn to a smoother gloss finish by use and cleanings over 5 to 7 years.

2. In the long time-frame difference, it is possible that what was a satin finish years ago is slightly different now.

3. And of course, while rare, they could have packaged the flooring incorrectly - wither for the new stuff or for the older, original packages.

While I understand that you want someone other than you to pay for this, maybe I'm just not understanding all of it. In your first post you say that when you called Armstrong that they said "the finish had been changed but it would still match" (my #2 option above). Then in your latest post you do say that you were not clear on what the finish was when ordering.

So it sure does seem like they did not mess up the order, just that what is now available is not a "perfect" match to both color and finish. Again, hard to see where they screwed up at this point. Considering the time-frame between the purchase of the two floors and considering that all such products give warnings about mixing different lot numbers, it now becomes the installers responsibility to check out the compatibility of the products. Then the process would be simple - you bring your new flooring home, take out few pieces and put them up against the older floor. If it's a good match, you start installing. If not, then you return the flooring.

Lowe's or Armstrong will gladly take the flooring back as long as it's mostly still in it's original packaging. If Lowe's or Armstrong were also the installers, then they would also return and reinstall to correct their mistake. Unfortunately, in your case, you were the installer and you did not see the difference until you had installed it all. Again, I know you don't want to hear this but since everything was ordered as requested it falls on you as the installer to check for compatibility. You did not do that and thus, you cannot blame them for their response (or lack of).

You could still get something out of this - depending on how you approach this and who you talk to. I've found that Lowe's is generous to a fault with returns. Now granted, I spend about $1,500 a week at Lowe's - every week for years now so I probably have a little more 'clout". Even with that though, there are times when the mistake is mine and so I have to pay for it.

If I were you I would approach it exactly as what it is: There was a slight change in the product over the years, all indications were that it would work fine and you didn't catch the finish difference until you tried merging the two floors together. They may get you some replacement flooring out of sympathy and to keep up good PR. On the flip side, if you try to just point the finger at them then they will have no recourse but to point out that it's an installer error.

Don't shoot the messenger, I've just been in this business for a long time and understand how it works to be fair to all.

Jaybee

Posts: 10086 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        My personal belief is that the box was mislabeled. About ten years ago I ordered Armstrong flooring through a small retail store. What was shipped was clearly not what was ordered, although the boxes were all labeled as ordered. They shipped something called Antique, which had black streaks throughout. The retail store acknowledged that the flooring was not even close, but Armstrong denied that there was an error and refused to send someone to even look at the flooring. They just stonewalled me. I will never buy Armstrong again.

Posts: 994 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if you bring back flooring that is resaleable, you should get a refund. if you bring back scraps and labels, it depends on how generous the manager is.

kinda like the difference between sending a raw steak back and making a fuss holding an empty plate. some days the manager has had enough and is ready for a fight, some days you get soothed and waved out and they eat the check.

that's why you look for lot numbers and insist on a match... and open one box to boot to make sure it's the same stuff that you paid a buck for a sample piece for.

floors and coatings will also shift color in the sun, too. bottom line... if you are going to do a job in two or three steps over 5 years, and you don't buy all the flooring plus the 15-20% overage for hose-ups now and repairs later, it's not going to be right.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5471 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        not so.
        It had been a special order. The dealer would not take it back unless Armstrong approved. Armstrong stonewalled.

Posts: 994 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        then this is the proper response IMPHO, as well as using your social media to show that Armstrong is not your friend.

should also be a cautionary note to all about special orders. I spend most of my money at a regional chain, Menards, and they plainly post on a huge freakin' sign just inside the door that any adjustment on special orders is solely at the discretion of the manager. aka, "do you feel lucky? well, do you?"

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5471 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post