DIY Message Boards
matching floors

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/8193914577

Nov 22, 2013, 05:35 PM
big mike
matching floors
heres my problem. i ripped out all our carpet bc there are pine floors under it. ive sanded the floors but now im left with different colors. for some reason back in the day they would finish the floor around an area rug or something. so when i sand the finish off it looks like new wood but when i sand the part that wasnt finished it still looks old. i did stain a small section to see if it would change but it looks horrible. plus should i use a wood conditioner and would that help with the different color situation?
Nov 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
Jaybee
You may need to sand a little deeper. But this is not a 100% fix.

The different colors could be from finish being applied to some areas and not others, but it could also be as the result of years of sunlight that never hit the parts of the floor under the carpet. These kind of stains can sometimes be sanded out - really depends how deep they go. It will take a real floor sander to do this.

But overall you may not have the perfect solution. Old floors like this just don't always stain up evenly.

Jaybee
Nov 27, 2013, 02:44 PM
big mike
thanks im going to try some gel stains. we are to the point where we dont care. its been weeks with our stuff outside in a shelter and we are going to wing it and poly it no matter what lol. thought about doing a exterior opaque stain but never heard anyone else ever try it so.