All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Stairs: Joining Risers and Treads
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Stairs: Joining Risers and Treads Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm installing hardwood risers and treads on what was originally carpeted stairs. The bottom half of the stairs have one side against the wall and the other side is open. I'm trying to make the open side look good.

I think that leaving the sides of the risers and treads flat looks like crap, so I want to use a router to round them off before stain/poly. My question is, how do I cut (route) the edges so that there isn't a gap where the two boards join up? I don't see any way to join the two boards that doesn't look ugly...

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Risers are usually flush with the wall surface and are covered with trim. Treads overhang the wall surface and extend back past the riser. You can either get treads that are rounded on the ends or you can buy rounded trim end pieces.

Invest in a good trim book and take a look at some of the pictures. Building a staircase is a complex process that takes time and skill. We are currently working on a stair and rail project that costs out a little over $30K.

Jaybee

Posts: 10102 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post