DIY Message Boards
anyone know what kind of flooring this

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/7753900477

Sep 22, 2013, 10:29 PM
cookiejo
anyone know what kind of flooring this
Does anyone know what type of flooring this is? It's from a home built in 1964 and covers almost 2500, so I'm looking for an inexpensive update. Can this be stained or painted? I don't think it's slate.Does anyone know what type of flooring this is? It's from a home built in 1964 and covers almost 2500, so I'm looking for an inexpensive update. Can this be stained or painted? I don't think it's slate.clay?slate?

floor

Sep 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
swschrad
boy, I hope that's vinyl or linoleum, and not some artist's idea of laying tile Wink

terazzo flooring (stone chips in an epoxy base) uses much smaller chips, and is often edged into squares with the use of brass strips in large floors. that's a convenience for the installers. one of the world's largest terazzo pours was done in 1949 for the studio floor of KSTP-TV in the twin cities, and covered about the same number of square feet. one continuous pour. that's the kind of workmanship they always did over there, and never flinched paying top dollar.

if you have a corner or cabinet you can take the molding off to see an edge, you can poke at it a little bit. if it's soft, you have a sheet floor. they can be scraped off. otherwise, lay a floating floor with a foam intermediate layer off a roll, or carpet.

if that floor is in good shape, you could just lay floating or carpet right over it.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Sep 24, 2013, 10:02 AM
cookiejo
It's not terrazzo. It's laid in concrete and the tiles are hard surfaced. I've seen this in a commercial building in my town (same builder with bad sense of humor?) but it was different colors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cookiejo,
Sep 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
swschrad
if it isn't cracking out, the mud set is solid. put down a sound-deadening underlayment and lay laminate or engineered floating wood. let some future historian with no sense of taste take it up a lifetime away and marvel at the preservation Wink

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?