All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Moisture content in subfloor
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Moisture content in subfloor Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just purchased a foreclosure that sat vacant in middle Georgia (read high humidity) for at least 6 months. I pulled out the carpet in the upstairs and purchased 3" wide oak flooring to install. The problem was that the moisture content in the plywood subfloor was over 14 percent when first tested (compared to 6 percent for the flooring). Everything I've read says that the subfloor and flooring planks need to be within 2 percent of each other before installation.

It's been over a month of having the A/C running and the subfloors are much dryer than before. I'm using a pin-style moisture meter to measure MC in the subfloor, and now the MC is about 7 percent on the surface, but about 10 percent if I push the pins into the wood just 1/4" or so.

So my question: Where do you need to measure the MC on the subfloor to assure you are in the 2 percent range? I plan to use a felt paper underlayment between the two. Anyone run into this before? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Have you read moisture from the underside of the subfloor? Have you put a dehumidifier in the crawl space?

If not, then you are only dehumidifying from the top with the AC in the living space. Stands to reason that if you are dehumidifying from only one side that it will take much longer to dry - and will get wetter the further away you get from the top surface.

Years from now the house will settle into a constant single-digit moisture range. If parts of the subfloor are currently above that then this trapped moisture will eventually work it's way into your new, drier flooring, or cause mold underneath the flooring underlayment.

Jaybee

Posts: 10292 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Is there a crawl space?
        If so is there a 6 Mil. plastic vapor barrier on the ground?
        Is there gutters?
        How is the roof vented.
        Sounds unrelated, but there's a reason for the questions.

joecaption

Posts: 18025 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the replies. I did have to pull up a section of the subfloor and read the MC on the underside of the plywood and it was in the 6 percent range, so I thought that a good thing.

This is on the second floor, so not exactly a crawl space, just the space between the floor joists, subfloor and first floor ceiling. There are gutters on the house, but not in great shape (about to get them replaced). The roof is vented with soffit and ridge vents.

It sounds like I just have to be patient and wait for them to dry out. I hope the dryer fall weather will help. Any tips on how to speed up the process?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by greyfalcon25:

It sounds like I just have to be patient and wait for them to dry out. I hope the dryer fall weather will help. Any tips on how to speed up the process?

Beyond a dehumidifier, baking soda helps absorb moisture and is especially good for eliminating damp odors. Kitty litter also absorbs moisture.

Posts: 1899 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post