All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Best floors with dogs
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Best floors with dogs Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am wanting to put wood floors on my 1st floor, but I have dogs that do have "accidents" inside. I am afraid of the liquid getting down the cracks. Does anyone know which wood flooring would be best?

Robyn Burwinkle

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Don't know of any that are going to be pee proof. If you have not done so, consider visiting a Flooring store (not a dept in another store) and looking at commercial rated vinyl flooring. This is NOT the stuff available at box/home stores.
        I saw some that looked like wood, (REALLY looked like wood) and had a 25 yr commercial/ lifetime warranty for homeowner. Comes in normal and extra wide widths, so chances are it would be seamless.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Yup, your best "wood" floor in this case would be sheet vinyl. Any wood floor that gets pee'd on frequently is going to stain and smell. Floating floors are out - trapped fluids underneath will get rancid pretty quickly.

Jaybee

Posts: 10292 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I had the same problem with my dog. Now the hardwood floors in family room and kitchen have to be replaced. Some suggestions on if and how this could be done would be appreciated. I also think that I would the hardwood floors would have been a positive selling feature, which is even more discouraging.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I love dogs, I really do. When we work in houses that have dogs, the dogs love me. I'm what you call 'a dog person". We actually had one client who gave me their dog after we finished our several month-long project - They said that their dog had never been happier than when we were there working - so when we were done she came to live with me. So yes, I really love dogs.

That said, if you have a dog that is not housebroken than that dog either does not belong inside the house at all or needs to be confined to a section of the house where it cannot do much harm. There are very few flooring materials that can stand up to getting pee'd on every day without either getting ruined or smelling up the house. Sheet vinyl is about the best but even that, over time will stain and start to smell.

For wood floors, carpet, tile & grout, floating laminates - if you keep a non-housebroken pet on these floors then just accept the fact that those floors will eventually be ruined. Given enough dogs (or enough 'output') and the subfloor can be damaged to the point that it too, needs to be torn out and replaced.

So your choices - from most expensive to least - are:

1. Let your dog(s) have the run of the house. Accept the fact that you will spend thousands and thousands of dollars to repair your floors - only to have to do it all over again. When you go to sell your house you will find that you either have to completely renovate before listing it or watch most of your potential buyers walk out the door while holding their noses.

2. Confine your dog(s) to limited areas of the house that have vinyl or epoxy covered concrete floors. Clean frequently and know that even if you do have to refloor these areas, it's not that expensive.

3. Find yesterdays newspaper. Roll it up. Introduce it to your dog(s) the next time they pee on the floor. Cost is minimal. Plus it's recyclable!

Jaybee

Posts: 10292 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I couldn't agree with you more. We decided to rescue a dog from a puppy mill rather then go through s breeder this tome. Without going into too much detail, she has severe anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. Once you bring these dogs into your home, you immediately bond with them and love them, which makes it impossible to give them up.
        With that being said, we also had flood damage to our hard wood floors from a flood. Now that I have water damage to the floors, do I replace them, and if so, with what? Do I try to have them sanded and stained and hope for the best? Suggestions, please.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The first thing is to determine if the water damage to the floors will require replacement or just refinishing. That could make for one answer there.

Then consider: If your floors can be refinished (less expensive than replacing) maybe do that and plan on getting new floors A.D. (After Dog).

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        Thanks. Lets not rush the "post dog". Sounds as if I have to get some expert advice from a hardwood floor expert. Thanks

posted Hide Post
        good for you not to rush "post dog" . I can't imagine not having 1 or 2 dogs living with us at all times , since that what we have for the last 56 years. we never were without them. when one goes to dogy heaven a new one comes home from the spca shelter.

Posts: 756 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Smile

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Problem is often times it's not just finish that gets destroyed. The wood will turn black and if it gets to the sub flooring or under the flooring every time the humidly up or the house is closed up it's going to stink.

joecaption

Posts: 18025 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post