All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Vinyl Plank Flooring Quality and Installation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Vinyl Plank Flooring Quality and Installation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello,

So I'm replacing laminate flooring in my basement due to a minor flooding caused by a pinhole in a pipe and doing some research led me to the vinyl plank flooring. This would be ideal because if this happen again it might not be as a massive damage (water resistant), plus I have a bar in a basement so a spilled beer would not cause damage to the floor like potentially laminates would.

Anyways, the reason I'm asking is two fold. First of all, I currently have DRICore installed over concrete and don't really want to remove all of that, I've read somewhere (internet) where apparently vinyl planks aren't recommended to be installed on top of DRICore. Any feedback on this, does anyone have any experience installing vinyl planks of DRICore?

Secondly, I've noticed there are several brands out there where the price varies from $2/sq. ft. to $6/sq. ft. The less expensive stuff I found at Home Depot/Lowes (Trafficmaster/Style Selections) while the more expensive stuff is at the local flooring stores (Armstrong/Shaw/Mannington). Question is if its actually worth paying double the price for the more expensive one? Is there quality much better on these brands. I probably use my basement once or twice a week to just go and grab a beer or watch tv so its not a very high traffic area. I feel like the more expensive stuff might be an overkill.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jun 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you'll have to ask an expert on the DriCore, I suspect putting 3/4 ply over it would do the job of providing a stable surface.

on the quality issue... thickness is one reasonable gauge of quality, and warranty is another. proper installation can make or break the job, so check the manufacturer's websites on the lines you are interested in, and see what their requirements are. almost everybody has an installation page now.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5860 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post