DIY Message Boards
Peel and Stick Vinyl tiles

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/7503908867

Mar 11, 2013, 12:45 PM
jgutter
Peel and Stick Vinyl tiles
Hello currently we have just a sheet of vinyl in the kitchen that is just in real bad shape. has a few tears in it and its impossible to keep clean with the lightness in color and traffic from everywhere.
we are looking at those peel and stick Vinyl tiles that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. my question is..
is it better to pull that old floor up and just put the peel and stick tiles on the subfloor or place the tiles over the existing.
i have read on several different boards that i can paint the subfloor with paint primer to give the peel and stick something to adhere to. Please advise.
Mar 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
Jaybee
Best thing to do is to pull up the old vinyl and replace with new sheet vinyl.

Peel and stick tiles are easy to install. That's about the only thing good about them. After a while they shrink up a little and/or move around which makes for some gaps between the tiles.

If you are looking for a quick fix that will not last forever then just do the peel and stick on top of your existing vinyl. Otherwise, do it right and use a solid sheet floor.

Jaybee
Mar 14, 2013, 02:08 PM
jgutter
quote:
king for a quick fix that will not last forever then just do the peel and stick on top of your existing vinyl. Otherwise, do it right and use a solid sheet floor

JAYBEE thanks for your advise.
Mar 16, 2013, 08:50 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Actually name brand products do last rather well. I installed a Armstrong product in my kitchen 15 years ago. And they still look rather well. And yes it was a "quick fix" type of job. But in the near future sheet vinyl would be the route I will be going.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Apr 09, 2013, 01:50 PM
NicoleJorge
Yeah Armstrong product were really good in those days,with perfect look and finish,well if doesn't require a change then why are you remodeling it.
baja real estate

Nicole M Jorge