All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Gap
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Gap Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello,
        I just moved into a 1958 brick town home. I noticed the front room is very drafty. I caulked around the interior of the window and the door. Then, I felt for where the air was coming in. Much to my surprise, the quarter round on my hardwood was loose! I pried it up only to discover that the hardwood flooring does not meet the wall! Additionally, cold air is rapidly coming up in this gap. What do I do to fix this problem?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Hardwood always has to have that gap for expansion and contraction.
        Any idea of this is balloon construction?
        In older homes home's it was common for them to build the outside walls even in more then one story buildings, then go back and add the floor joist later.
        Unlike a modern home where the floor system is built and the walls set on top of the decking.
        In a balloon constructed home air can pass all the way from the crawl space to the attic behind the walls.
        Other things that can cause this in a home of that age are lack of insulation.
        Hard wood flooring laid right over the floor joist with no air sealing subflooring, if anything they may have used something like 1 X 6's.
        Cold air can come right up through the floor.
        No insulation behind the window casings. If there old style wooden windows with window weights there's an empty 4" wide space on each side that's open all the way to the outside.
        No air sealing in the crawl space or basement will allow
        cold air to come right up through the walls. Any place plumbing or wiring was run through the floors or wall needs to be sealed up with expanding foam.
        The area near the foundation needs to be sealed up with 2" blue foam with expanding foam to seal the gaps.
        Under the floors need to be insulated.

joecaption

Posts: 17999 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I truly appreciate your explanation. It actually makes a lot of sense based on what I saw. How much of this am I able to DIY? If I don't DIY, any idea what the cost would be? This is the first floor front room. The basement ceiling underneath is finished drywall. What would be the best way to reach the gap to insulate?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post