All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Laminate floors over old tile and cabinet project?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Laminate floors over old tile and cabinet project? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all,

I just bought my first home, it was built in 52' and has carpet which I tore out today, but under that is some very hard original tile. I've done laminate once before and it was over tile, after years it showed no issues, is this ok? A little floor filler where there are cracks? (What kind, if any?)

Also, Im doing a new kitchen, should I do laminate all the way to the wall then cabinets over the top? Or just do laminate around the cabinets? (Doing cabinets first)

Thanks in advance....

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        If you mean linoleum tiles what are perfectly flat not something like a porcelain of ceramic tiles, then that will be fine.
        I'd never suggest using laminate flooring in a kitchen or bathroom. Far to high a chance of water damage.
        It gets wet once and it's trash.
        Laminate is always installed around not under any built in's.

joecaption

Posts: 17993 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Check the warranty and use suggestions for any flooring you end up using.
        Some laminates are better suited to possible kitchen use than others, and often depends on their construct of backing material. Water seepage can be an issue, so never count on using a soaking, wet mop to clean the floor. Gluing the sections will also seal them better than just the snap together type of application, caulk perimeter edges against walls and cabinets, prior to shoe molding or quarter round for a finish edge. Plus use any manufacturers suggested foam under-layment for sound deadening and cushioning.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        There is linoleum in the kitchen I was going to peel that up because it's uneven and pretty bad. Under that and throughout the house is tile, it's very hard, probably porcelain? Some of them are broken near the trim, where the wood nail carpet strips were. I told my contractor buddy I intended to scrap all the tiles out, but he said it would be a nightmare and just use some floor filler and it'd be fine. Then some glue or sealer on the laminate in the kitchen area in case of spills. My previous house has laminate in the kitchen and never had an issue. My new house has better quality laminate as well, so I think I'd be ok... thoughts?

Laminate over tile may not be the best route? Id hate to scrape it all out if it's not mandatory.

The floors are 8mm hand scraped by Hampton Bay, AC3 50 year warranty.

Thanks so far, appreciate the input!

posted Hide Post
        And I do have the suggest type of underlayment for moisture barrier/ sound deadener.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Floating laminate only needs a smooth and level surface to work. So if you have old tiles that are sound and either level or can be level with the addition of a floor leveling compound, then it will work as a subfloor for a floating laminate floor.

However - Any pro will tell you that a floating floor in either a bathroom or a kitchen is not the best idea. Nothing wrong with the flooring, it's just the potentially wet location. Now, the floating floor manufacturers will say that you can install their product in both kitchens or bathrooms, just make sure that you seal around the edges with a flexible sealer like silicon. In theory, this will keep any water spills from getting under the floating floor.

The reality is much different than that. If you spill some water and wipe it up quickly, it will be fine. But, if you have any of those all-too-common leaks - be it off the side of a bathtub or under a kitchen sink - the water will find it's way underneath the floating floor. Once it does that you are done as the floor will buckle, delaminate or just smell bad and feel squishy. It's a case of the manufacturers wanting to sell their product vs those of us out there in the real world who know that the odds are very close to 100% that a floating floor in a kitchen or bathroom will fail.

I know that both Joe and I make lots of money from those who ignore this advice.

Jaybee

Posts: 10126 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks, lots of good info!
        I agree 100% about the bathroom, I'd never put laminate in there, even if it was kept dry which is impossible there is tons of heat, fog, moisture, etc.

The kitchen Im still debating. My current house kitchen has laminate, it's been about 7-8 years and gets an occasional drop or two, it still looks to be in perfect condition. I may do my new kitchen with laminate, use a rug near the sink, I think the only way the floor could fail in that area is if there is a plumbing issue or major leak. I've only done this a couple times though... I could always tile the kitchen... hmmm. Something to think about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AlwaysAvocado,

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Use tile that looks like wood.
        http://www.bing.com/images/sea...g+pictures&FORM=IGRE

joecaption

Posts: 17993 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Whoa, that's cool looking stuff, looks pricey...
        I've already ordered 1100 sq ft of laminate... I'll be moving forward with it... had good luck in the past. Not children or big animals so it should keep nice for a while.