All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Lock and fold engineered hardwood floor over linoleum
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Lock and fold engineered hardwood floor over linoleum Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello I am new to DIY. I am installing engineered hardwood floors over linoleum. I have done this before and I have not had a problem. The house that I am working on is a modular home that was built in 1976 and the floor is linoleum. The floor is level except for the center of the house where it looks like there is something like a T molding where the 2 halves of the house were joined together. It is a metal strip that runs along the floor over the linoleum and it is about 1/8” high. I tried leveling compound to go over this piece but that did not work. I was thinking of taking the piece of metal up and seeing if that would work? Does anyone have any suggestion or have an idea what I might run into? Also, when I take it up if there is a gap what can I fill the gap with?

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you are going over the whole floor with a floating engineered floor, then you shouldn't have to do anything except remove the metal trim strip. Odds are it's only there to cover the edges of the sheet vinyl floor - and only that because it's a modular home. Since the metal strip is decorative and not structural, there is no need for it and no need to fill. Just remove the strip and install the floating floor over everything.

Jaybee

Posts: 10153 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Wouldn't the leveling compound just make it worse? More of a "bow" in the center? The above poster is right, it's just cosmetic so do away with it.

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        That's what I thought. You are right the leveling compound did make it worse. Thank you for the info.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post