DIY Message Boards
Lock and fold engineered hardwood floor over linoleum

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/6253909077

May 29, 2013, 04:45 PM
racecoach11
Lock and fold engineered hardwood floor over linoleum
Hello I am new to DIY. I am installing engineered hardwood floors over linoleum. I have done this before and I have not had a problem. The house that I am working on is a modular home that was built in 1976 and the floor is linoleum. The floor is level except for the center of the house where it looks like there is something like a T molding where the 2 halves of the house were joined together. It is a metal strip that runs along the floor over the linoleum and it is about 1/8” high. I tried leveling compound to go over this piece but that did not work. I was thinking of taking the piece of metal up and seeing if that would work? Does anyone have any suggestion or have an idea what I might run into? Also, when I take it up if there is a gap what can I fill the gap with?
May 29, 2013, 05:30 PM
Jaybee
If you are going over the whole floor with a floating engineered floor, then you shouldn't have to do anything except remove the metal trim strip. Odds are it's only there to cover the edges of the sheet vinyl floor - and only that because it's a modular home. Since the metal strip is decorative and not structural, there is no need for it and no need to fill. Just remove the strip and install the floating floor over everything.

Jaybee
May 31, 2013, 08:19 PM
Times 5
Wouldn't the leveling compound just make it worse? More of a "bow" in the center? The above poster is right, it's just cosmetic so do away with it.
Jun 03, 2013, 11:41 AM
racecoach11
That's what I thought. You are right the leveling compound did make it worse. Thank you for the info.