DIY Message Boards
Laminate Floors

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/6233936108

Mar 02, 2014, 03:05 PM
Nate_H
Laminate Floors
I am getting ready to put down new laminate flooring on the entire first floor of a new house (about a year old). My question is this: When I am removing the old carpet and vinyl, should I remove all the base molding before installing the new floor? I have looked around and noticed some did and some didn't. I know if I didn't I could put down shoe molding to cover up the gap. I am just not sure if that would look right. I am sure if I removed all the base molding, the finish product would look better but then reinstalling all the base molding and caulking again would be a pain.
Mar 03, 2014, 04:06 AM
ron45
From experience..
Leave the baseboard. I would lightly sand it for a cleaner finished look.

Also, you will need to cut all the jambs, harbor freight has a great tool for this and you can't beat the cost.
http://www.harborfreight.com/p...37.html#.UxRENhpdVp4

...Be sure to watch the video of it...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,
Mar 03, 2014, 12:27 PM
Re-mdlr
I recently did a floating hardwood floor, and removed the outdated baseboard before the install. Then added better baseboard afterward. I prefer the look of not having quarter round. I think it's worth the extra effort. So it's up to you how much effort you want to put into it
Mar 03, 2014, 05:28 PM
Nate_H
Yeah I am beginning to think about just taking it off, that way I don't have to use the quarter round. Plus it would give it a better look. I appreciate your opinion!
Mar 05, 2014, 06:53 AM
joecaption
Make a whole lot of extra work for yourself in my option.
Only time I would is if it's being replaced.
Why are you removing the vinyl and not just going over it?
Laminate is one flooring that will never give you a pay back.
Using engineered flooring will add to the homes value.
Ever see an ad in the paper under homes for sale stating "laminate floors through out"? But I bet you have seen some saying "hardwood floors through out"
Laminate get wet and it's trashed.
Even just have a dogs water bowl sitting on it can take it out.
Keep it out of the kitchen, bathroom, laundry rooms.

joecaption