All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Laminate Floors
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Laminate Floors Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am getting ready to put down new laminate flooring on the entire first floor of a new house (about a year old). My question is this: When I am removing the old carpet and vinyl, should I remove all the base molding before installing the new floor? I have looked around and noticed some did and some didn't. I know if I didn't I could put down shoe molding to cover up the gap. I am just not sure if that would look right. I am sure if I removed all the base molding, the finish product would look better but then reinstalling all the base molding and caulking again would be a pain.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        From experience..
        Leave the baseboard. I would lightly sand it for a cleaner finished look.

Also, you will need to cut all the jambs, harbor freight has a great tool for this and you can't beat the cost.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/p...37.html#.UxRENhpdVp4

...Be sure to watch the video of it...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I recently did a floating hardwood floor, and removed the outdated baseboard before the install. Then added better baseboard afterward. I prefer the look of not having quarter round. I think it's worth the extra effort. So it's up to you how much effort you want to put into it

Posts: 943 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yeah I am beginning to think about just taking it off, that way I don't have to use the quarter round. Plus it would give it a better look. I appreciate your opinion!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Make a whole lot of extra work for yourself in my option.
        Only time I would is if it's being replaced.
        Why are you removing the vinyl and not just going over it?
        Laminate is one flooring that will never give you a pay back.
        Using engineered flooring will add to the homes value.
        Ever see an ad in the paper under homes for sale stating "laminate floors through out"? But I bet you have seen some saying "hardwood floors through out"
        Laminate get wet and it's trashed.
        Even just have a dogs water bowl sitting on it can take it out.
        Keep it out of the kitchen, bathroom, laundry rooms.

joecaption

Posts: 18021 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post