All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Gluing versus stapling engineered hardwood floors - which is the best method?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Gluing versus stapling engineered hardwood floors - which is the best method? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi everyone,

My husband and I are having about 1000 square feet of new red oak engineered hardwood flooring installed in our home in a few weeks. The flooring is 3/8 x 3. According to the manufacturer and the store we bought it from, this floor can be installed either by gluing the tongue and groove or by using staples. We have hired a contractor to install it for us and he will install it whichever way we prefer. He has experience doing it both ways and said that he has no preference. However, he did mention to us that if we go with the glue install, we won't be able to walk on the floors for about 24 hours so that the glue can fully dry. This would be a huge inconvenience for us, especially since we have pets. He also said that glue can make it a lot more difficult if we ever need to replace any sections of flooring in the future. It seems to me that using staples would be much easier and probably even faster. However, we just want the best results and the most solid installation possible. Can anyone make any recommendations on gluing versus stapling and which way would be best?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jwathas,

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would only glue it if it were the only option, like over concrete. I removed some glued floor down in Mississippi after Katrina. It was not fun.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 714 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Sparky617:
        I would only glue it if it were the only option, like over concrete. I removed some glued floor down in Mississippi after Katrina. It was not fun.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I wasn't really liking the glue idea. It just seems like it would take longer to install that way and would definitely be messier. As soon as our contractor mentioned that it would be much harder to replace a certain section of flooring if it ever became damaged somehow if was glued together, that pretty much made me 100% against using the glue. It would also be nearly impossible for us to stay off the floor for 24 hours so the glue could dry, especially since we have dogs and cats. It looks like we're definitely going to go with staples. Smile

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post