All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    durock over plank subfloor
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

durock over plank subfloor Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have been trying to find info on my issue. My subfloor is 3/4 inch planks over 16" on center joists. The planks are not tongue and grove they are just planks with a small space in between them. My question is that I plan on putting down ceramic tile for the bathroom floor and was wondering what I should do to put the cement board down. Should I (1) put down a mortar and not worry about the cracks in the subfloor and then put then durock overtop and screw down. or (2) just lay the durock down and screw the recommended amount or (3) something completely different.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Also I don't want to have a trip point at the entry way. We alreay removed a 1/2" partical board which had laminate on it.

posted Hide Post
        I would contact USG (the maker) and ask them what they think about additional underlayment.

old plank floors says to me this is in an older house, and those planks and everything they rest on is going to move. I'd do a 3/4 inch plywood underlayment and then the Durock, and then the tile myself.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5729 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You need to do a plywood layer on top of the existing plank subfloor. It doesn't have to be 3/4". 1/2" will be fine. 3/8" will even work but you'll need a closer nailing pattern than 1/2". Unless height is an issue, I'd go with 1/2"

Adding the plywood layer creates a stable base for the cement board. Cement board has no real strength and cannot compensate for any movement or cupping that is bound to happen between a plank subfloor. Once you securely fasten the plywood, either with ring-shank nails or screws, then the backer can be applied in a mortar base.

Jaybee

Posts: 10305 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What if I rip out the planks and put down screw liquid nail the 3/4 inch T&G then lay the durock wouldn't that work just as well even though it would be more work.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by steve85:
        What if I rip out the planks and put down screw liquid nail the 3/4 inch T&G then lay the durock wouldn't that work just as well even though it would be more work.

More work - yes, but overall the best fix. This will keep your floor level low. As long as your joists are 16" OC or less then 3/4 plywood will work as a subfloor for cement board and tile.

Jaybee

Posts: 10305 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Mr. Spammy has been referred to the principal's office.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5729 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        There is a publication that I read along with my employees. It is a quarterly publication called ProInstaller magazine. It is what the professionals read regarding flooring installation. It covers everything from subfloors to all types of flooring installations and problems. I highly recommend it. You can google ProInstaller magazine and their digital issue is at the top left corner. I recommend subscribing (bottom left corner of screen).

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post