DIY Message Boards
Bathroom Flooring

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/6013920208

Mar 22, 2014, 08:50 AM
DiyDad911
Bathroom Flooring
I am about to remodel my 1965 main bathroom. The floors are original to the home and are 1 inch tiles or various colors. I was thinking of saving time and money by just covering the floor with vinyl plank flooring. They are water resistant and click together. The only thing I am worried about is if the tile flooring underneath over time would make an impression on the vinyl, showing the 1 inch tile grid lines. I do not have space to tile over the old tiles and would consider cork flooring too. Any comments?
Mar 22, 2014, 10:14 AM
Jaybee
You can use a floor leveling compound on top of the tile, prior to installing the vinyl planks. This will make for a smooth enough surface to there will be no pattern telegraphing into the vinyl.

Something else to consider though - Installing a floating floor on top of the tile creates a space that can hold water. You can lessen this by sealing around the plank floor perimeter with a good silicon caulk, but eventually water will find it's way between the vinyl planks and the tile. This can lead to some mold and odor problems down the line.

Jaybee
Mar 23, 2014, 07:06 AM
joecaption
You would be far better off removing the tile. Yes it's more work but, it's the right way to do it.
I'd also use glued down sheet linoleum not a floating floor.

joecaption