DIY Message Boards
Upstairs vs downstairs wood colors

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/5503948008

Jan 27, 2014, 02:06 PM
aiellokim
Upstairs vs downstairs wood colors
I need opinions. I have oak on job finish wood floors upstair, oak stair case and banisters in an atrium and it opens up to the downstairs family area. I know I need to use engineered type of wood flooring but, do I need to use same colors and wood type or would it be ok to use different color and wood type?
Jan 27, 2014, 10:15 PM
Jaybee
It's fine to use a different color. In fact, if it's a lot different then that would be better. It's your house, so you can do whatever you want but about the only bad thing would be if the final result looked like you were trying to match the two different floors but didn't quite get it right.

We have on-site finished red oak in much of out house - both upstairs and downstairs. Typical 2-1/4" T&G planks. When we added flooring to a family room & office addition, we wanted to use a hard surface floating floor. We went with a 4" wide plank in cherry that goes with the rest of the house but makes no pretense of trying to match. It looks fine.

Jaybee
Jan 28, 2014, 11:51 AM
aiellokim
Thanks for the help. I do agree with both being different and not trying to match.