All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Transitioning from laminated wood flooring to tiles IN A CURED SHAPED between two roo
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Transitioning from laminated wood flooring to tiles IN A CURED SHAPED between two roo Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just bought a new home; we have pulled all of the carpeting out of the entire house and we have installed laminated wood flooring in the 'open concept' living room/dining room(400 sq. ft.)and we are now ready to begin on the kitchen. The original design in this area was curved at about 45 degrees where the door opened from the carport and entry into the kitchen/ living-dining rooms. There was linoleum on the kitchen floor, and a carpet strip between the two. What type of moulding or divider do you use between laminated wood and ceramic tile squares, I cannot find anything about these two floor types? Obviously, I don't want something that stands very tall or it will continually be tripped over. There are all types of 'T moulding' etc at all of the home improvement stores but nothing that says it can be curved. PLEASE HELP....AND FAST! Ready to get moved in, and can't move my appliances until I solve this problem.

Posts: 2 | Location: Hampton, Arkansas 71744 | Registered: Apr 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        do you mind metal? there are T strips of aluminum and possibly stainless that transition materials, I've seen 'em. type "aluminum transition molding" into your favorite search engine, and you get sites like this

http://www.tapeease.com/aluminum%20t-moldings.htm

and artwork like this

https://www.google.com/search?...Q&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQsAQ

you would have to call folks like countertop and cabinetry shops in your area to see if anybody had anything Right Freaking Now that you could pick up, bend gently, and silicone into place.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5478 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the FAST reply Smile . I was hoping to avoid metal strips, just b/c they are not very pleasing to the eye. The wood moulding (T moulding) has a certain amount of flexibility, but again, not very compatible with the tile. I've heard that there are some types of rubber strips that can be done in any color, but I cannot find any information on them. The wood flooring is Oak and the tile color is 'Navaho Sand'. I wondered if I could grout between the two of them???? Would it hold up?

Posts: 2 | Location: Hampton, Arkansas 71744 | Registered: Apr 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        No, do not use grout. The wood and the tile will expand and contract at different rates, the grout will end up with cracks. Depending on your tile supplier, go to a pro shop instead of the big box stores if needed, they sell tubes of caulk that are colored the same as the grout. And also they sell them sanded or non sanded. The caulk will expand and contract well, and look like the grout.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 868 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Please post some pictures.
        First mistake you made was using laminite flooring.
        It have to have room to expand and contract or it's going to buckle.

joecaption

Posts: 17984 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post