All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Laminate vs. Hardwood
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Laminate vs. Hardwood Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Currently, I have Mannington Adura vinyl plank (hardwood pattern) floors in my home, and I love them. They are (IMO) beautiful and almost literally tougher than nails. Something spills (or the cat spits up a hairball that lays there all night), I just wipe it up. No problem.

I'm house hunting, and vinyl plank floors are rare. My choices are laminate or real hardwood. I always thought of laminate as cheap, flimsy and prone to dent where furniture rests on them. But after reading a bit, I find I may be dead wrong. From http://homeguides.sfgate.com/hardwood-floor-hardwood-laminant-floor-23042.html: laminate floors are more scratch resistant and stain resistant. Any opinions? (When are there no opinions in this forum?)

Posts: 95 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of crafdragon
        posted Hide Post
        My opinion goes with laminate...mostly because of a horrible with water. We bought our first place with real hardwood flooring. When we looked at the place there was a leak in the upstairs bathroom, our condition for takng it would be that the bathroom leak was REPAIRED. Well the realtor called and said it was done repaired and when did we want to complete the paperwork. We went, looked and when asked who did the work, contact info and that sort of thing we were told that info was no given out. So I asked if it was done by a reliable contractor if repaired and was told it was repaired. We lived 8 hours away so took the man's word...WRONG!! Ended up the water was just shut off and the day were were moving back in then going to get more furniture in a moving truck. We suspect the realtor had done the work(if any) himself. Cheap PUNK!! We were gone 2 weeks and came back to 2 floors of warped wood flooring and carpets that we now owned!! What a mess, we lost so much and ended up getting back nothing but a carpet less home with warped wood flooring...all of which we had to take care of ourselves. Being new homeowners we got rid of the carpeting and warped flooring because we were told the carpet would just mold anyway. So my opinion is that if it had been laminate floors we may not have lost as much. I DO NOT want to try it again tho as we have pets and no $ to try it with Wink

So there is my opinion...I wish we had had the laminate now but it's in the past. We may never have carpet again unless we win the lottery lol!! Confused

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!

Posts: 557 | Location: E.WA State, USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Where's JoeCaption now? He HATES laminate :-) :-)

I have a good quality laminate in my kitchen and adjoining dining room. It does hold up quite well.
        I don't know if it would have held up to the flood that craftdragon described though.
        It looks OK on its own, but, if you put it right up alongside real wood, you can definitely see a difference--which has become a bit of a problem for us, because we'd like to go to hardwood in the rest of our ranch home. Our living room adjoins the dining room and, if we put hardwood in the living room, it would look stupid alongside the laminate.

Posts: 350 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post