DIY Message Boards
Hardwood flooring

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/5373922277

Jul 15, 2013, 03:29 PM
Natalie Hunt
Hardwood flooring
I want to install hardwood flooring. But this house was
built with only one layer of wafer(particle)flooring.Question 1, due I need to lay down another layer of sub-flooring, before installation?
Question 2. When they installed the stairwells in the
house it was after they installed the floors, so there is an extra piece of wood in between the stairs and the floor which is butt together properly nor level. Can I sand this level?
Jul 15, 2013, 08:07 PM
Jaybee
If it's an approved subfloor material like Advantec, then you can install a nail-down hardwood directly to it. If not, then you should remove it and install a more substantial subfloor layer. Or, if there is a suitable 3/4" layer of subfloor below the waferboard, then that can be used as a base for the hardwood.

You can also go directly on top of what you have now with a floating floor.

Jaybee
Jul 16, 2013, 07:57 AM
Natalie Hunt
Thank you, looks like I will be adding another layer over
the existing wafer board as I suspected. The house was only built with only the 1 layer of 3/4 inch wafer, which is not marked with any manufacture stamp I would be to afraid of ripping it out and replacing, the walls may fall down.Since all the doors need replacing.I had a hardwood installer out to the house. lmao,of what they had said on a few things.
Jul 16, 2013, 10:27 AM
Re-mdlr
As a west coast builder, one layer of 3/4 inch wafer is standard building procedure. It's a wafer designed to be used for flooring. To put hardwood floors over that is done all the time. Things might be done differently in your area, but you don't indicate where that is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,
Jul 16, 2013, 08:21 PM
Natalie Hunt
I live in Utah,