DIY Message Boards
tar parer removal

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/5023984577

Nov 24, 2013, 01:35 PM
bobnpeter
tar parer removal
We have begun our kitchen remodel. under the ceramic tile we are removing to regain the original wood flooring is Tar paper melted to the wood. any ideas on removing this gummy stuck on mess.
Nov 24, 2013, 05:15 PM
swschrad
scrape what you can, soften the rest with mineral spirits and scrape again.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Nov 24, 2013, 07:57 PM
Jaybee
Yup, there is no easy way to do this. Some power scrapers, like a blade on a SonicCrafter can help. But even with that you are scraping an entire floor with a 2" wide blade.

When you use solvents make sure that you have plenty of ventilation.

Jaybee
Nov 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
swschrad
reason I suggested mineral spirits is it has a comparatively high flash point and lower toxicity than most anything else on the shelf, plus it cuts petroleum residues pretty well.

in addition to ventilation, though, look around and make sure you don't have any sparky or flamey appliances etc. in the area. like for instance gas stoves. vapors are heavier than air, so covering ducts to the furnace and putting a poly barrier over doorframes is also a decent idea.

this is good advice for all solvent-based products like oil paint. sooner or later, somebody somewhere will get sloppy and have an accident, and it's probably not as obvious as it should be that if something can go foomp, somebody will find a way.

if you're getting goofy, get outside for a bit and get more ventilation. goofy means toxicity is starting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?