DIY Network

All Projects

TV Projects

    What Do You Want To Work On?

      What Activity Do You Want To Do?

        0

        Available Projects

        Get Results

        DIY Network /

        Message Boards

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    refinishing wood floors
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools
        Reply
          
        refinishing wood floors Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have sanded my hardwood floors and vacuumed them three times. There is stil a dust residue and I'm looking
        for an easy way to remove the dust prior to sealing the floor. I do have tack cloths but I've got a lot of
        flooring. Will mineral spirits do the job or is there something else I can use? I will be using an oil based
        polyurethane sealer.
         
        Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        When it comes to Hardwood Flooring San Diego, West Coast Steam Clean is second to none. Your decision to rely on our services is something that you will not regret. We make sure that you get the best of the services at rates that will not dig a hole into your pocket. We are here to bring to all our customers cost effective and reliable services within the stipulated time. Our team of experienced staff make use of advanced technology and proven cleaning procedure ensuring that your wooden floors not only look amazing but also last longer.

        This message has been edited. Last edited by: nimitlawson,
         
        Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by nimitlawson:
        When it comes to Hardwood Flooring San Diego, West Coast Steam Clean is second to none. Your decision to rely on our services is something that you will not regret. We make sure that you get the best of the services at rates that will not dig a hole into your pocket. We are here to bring to all our customers cost effective and reliable services within the stipulated time. Our team of experienced staff make use of advanced technology and proven cleaning procedure ensuring that your wooden floors not only look amazing but also last longer.


        All that great service without ever learning how to read. Totally amazing!


        Jaybee
         
        Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:

        Originally posted by Jaybee:

        All that great service without ever learning how to read. Totally amazing!



        Even more amazing is that he can't even find his own office! Imagine offering such services when he doesn't even know where he works.

        (See the Air Duct Cleaning San Diego thread under the Cleaning section.)
         
        Posts: 1740 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Dennyg:
        I have sanded my hardwood floors and vacuumed them three times. There is stil a dust residue and I'm looking
        for an easy way to remove the dust prior to sealing the floor. I do have tack cloths but I've got a lot of
        flooring. Will mineral spirits do the job or is there something else I can use? I will be using an oil based
        polyurethane sealer.


        DennyG, what kind of vacuum are you using? Regular house vacuum, one with a HEPA filter, or a shop vac? Also, what's the motor size? I have an old Hoover Celebrity with a canister motor and another one in the floor attachment and it sucks up everything. Maybe a more powerful vacuum cleaner would help?

        I think you'd have to use a lot of mineral spirits to get all the remaining sawdust, which would be a concern because of the fumes, even with good ventilation.

        This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
         
        Posts: 1740 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        a tack cloth is nothing more than a rag that is soaked in mineral spirits with a little varnish in it just enough to make the cloth sticky. I would make one using a micro-fiber cloth and the varnish/ mineral spirits mix. I would also do one room at a time after I vacuumed with a good vacuum that has a HEPA filter
        I would also use a quick drying varnish that has been thinned 3 to one and wipe it on rather than brush it, using a lint free cloth
        I do a lot of woodworking and have tried all different ways of finishing, and find this is my preferred method
        Sometimes I even use acetone for a thinner for oil based poly, for even faster drying
        Naptha will dry faster than mineral spirits, but not as fast as acetone
        Make sure you use a painters mask that has cartridges for organic solvents if you don't want to cook your liver
         
        Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I am betting the dust from sanding the floors can be a lot like drywall dust. It will accumulate everywhere including on walls, ceilings and every window or trim ledge? And when air circulates from furnace, window or even walking through, it will float down on the floor. I would seal off all heat ducts, (and remember to change air filters before use, after it is varnished).

        I would shop garage sale/thrift stores and use old towels, microfibers or anything that did not shed a lot of lint and just dampen lightly with a spray of water, and wipe all surfaces to catch as much dust as possible. Maybe increase humidity a bit too to keep the stuff from floating to the floor, before you get ready to varnish. And not allow air to artificially circulate till the varnish skins over.
         
        Posts: 6861 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
          Powered by Social Strata  
         

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    refinishing wood floors

        © Scripps Networks 2009

        Advertisement

        Posting Guidelines

        • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
        • No off-topic or off-color postings.
        • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of DIY moderators.
        • No advertising is allowed.
        • Be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
        • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political or religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by DIY.

        Full Guidelines

        For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.