All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Best wood flooring for vacation cottage
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Best wood flooring for vacation cottage Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We're building a cottage in Maine. I want flooring that is durable, fairly wide planks and not glossy. I want it to look and feel like an older cottage where if someone drips on the floor or if pine needles are tracked in, it's OK. The square footage is approx. 2500 sq ft. There will be a large covered porch, a screened porch and a sleeping porch above it.
        The architect favors Meranti wood throughout but I think I read it has a problem with moisture. Do we use the same wood outside and in the porches as we do inside the house? I am interested in finding a flooring that isn't exorbitant in price. Who isn't?

Would love to hear from people who have used engineered wood. Is it better for us because there can't be a basement? In Maine so I am concerned about temp fluctuations and freezing temps for solid wood. Suggestions?

Thanks-

Posts: 1 | Location: Artesia | Registered: Jun 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        engineered wood doesn't like to get wet, so scratch that. actually, any wood doesn't like to get wet... the exceptions are costly tropical wood like ipay, and for that, yeah, YOUpay. it's hard as a rock, and so oily glue won't stick without heavy solvent work.

sounds like you either want to lay down old planks from salvaged barns, or go with a solid wood floor inside with floor-grade matte varnish. Varathane has one. you are going to want the oil-base stuff, water base white-rings on standing water.

outside applications really need a good oil-base stain.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5763 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        in general, the traditional old floorings were solid wood.
        very old floors used plain boards with flat edges,
        newer solid wood floors used better "tongue and groove" edged boards that lock together.

anything solid wood will be expensive.

among the most expensive is teak, often used on boats, cause it has oil in the wood and feels oily to the touch. $$$$$

there are solid boards that are pressure treated with plastic, for moisture resistance.
        the solid boards that look green are pressure treated with arsenic, so can't be used inside a house.

there are also lots of plastic simulated boards, that will last long time outside.

--
        for finishing, the older way was just oil or oilbased varnish. nowadays there are all sorts of polyurethane etc varnishes. "spar varnish" in either oil or poly is what folks use on wood boat parts that are always exposed to the sun and moisture and daily morning condensation.

any of those finishes will coat the wood floor so that inadvertent oily spills don't stain the raw wood.

----
        for engineered flooring, there are MANY different constructions. the cheapest is just Masonite base with a thin plastic top coat. then there are Masonite base with real wood top layer. then plywood base with real wood top layer. and yes, there are solid wood engineered boards, that have special interlocking variants of tongue and groove edges.
        stay away from the Masonite bases, cause those disintegrate with wetness. the thickness of the solid wood layer on top varies.

for finishing, make sure to specially extra seal all the joints, all the grooves, so spills or rain or moisture don't get to the base layers.

Posts: 1 | Location: Brookston | Registered: Jun 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Both these 'original' posters are linked together, dance around their 'profile' and web site, it's just a big disguised advertisement

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 961 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Interesting approach to tag team spam. I see the first poster has a website of:

http://www.laminateflooringinfo.com. Gee, I wonder why he would even have to ask about flooring?

Second poster doesn't list a website but is clearly spamming.

Maybe spammers are getting dumber and now it takes two of them to do what one did before?

Good catch, Re-mdler.

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks GardenSprite -- the second poster has that link, and it pops up similar to the web site link. I knew I smelled a rat.

Posts: 961 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        And where's there's one rat, there's more. I wonder if this is the spam trend of the future?

posted Hide Post
        thing 1 and thing 2
        a lot of spamming they will do.
        the thing I think is the thing to do
        is ignore the lot, and report them too.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5763 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Won't you concede, that whether two or one,
        Bashing spammers is so much fun?