DIY Message Boards
Sealing concrete basement floor

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/4503905177

Jun 20, 2013, 12:14 PM
meaghanek
Sealing concrete basement floor
I would like to seal my basement floor, but am not sure how to go about doing it. We would like to seal it primarily to eliminate pet odors. I had a plan in mind of first using a pressure washer to clean the floor, and then sealing it penetrating sealer, then I would like to follow up with an epoxy sealer. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? It seems like there is some sort of coating on the floor already, would that interfere with the sealing process? I would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Meaghan
Jun 20, 2013, 01:32 PM
swschrad
if the floor is sealed, it's sealed. if there is a sorta-coating on the floor, it can't be sealed.

concrete is porous, allowing slow transit by water. but if you fill the pores with a cheap slop and want to come back later to seal it properly, there isn't any "tooth" for the sealer to grip. without covering over and around the pores, first water to come along will eventually pry up the topcoat.

your best chance is to abrasively remove whatever is on there now, be it a clear sealer or wax, and then follow with a scrubbing with ammonia, vacuuming it up. if it's anything like an acrylic wax, that's your best shot. black 3M pads on a floor machine with straight 28% ammonia and a wet vac, just like doing the floors in a dormitory. water rinse and wet vac. set plastic sheet on the floor, weight it, and come back in a week. if the sheet is dry, you can try it.

get the sealer from a professional paint store like Sherwin, PPG, or ICI, not some apron jockey in aisle 43.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?