All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    unfinished pine steps
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

unfinished pine steps Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have bought new pine boards for interior basement stairs.
        I want high gloss clear look do I use polyurethane or
        is there something else I use for them.

Thanks Linda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eyeliner66,

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Boards is a pretty generic term.
        Not trying to cause an issue but just concerned that you bought the right materials before sealing with any thing.
        Real pine treads are thicker, and not just one piece of wood. There laminated strips of wood to reduce cupping.
        There also rounded on the edge that over hangs.
        Poly made for floors is what you need. The more coats the longer it's going to last.
        http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unb...-048-HD00L/202087175

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joecaption,

joecaption

Posts: 18036 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        This did not answer my question! they are step boards that lowe's sell they are real thick they are the right boards there step boards.
        linda

quote:
        Originally posted by joecaption:
        Boards is a pretty generic term.
        Not trying to cause an issue but just concerned that you bought the right materials before sealing with any thing.
        Real pine treads are thicker, and not just one piece of wood. There laminated strips of wood to reduce cupping.
        There also rounded on the edge that over hangs.
        Poly made for floors is what you need. The more coats the longer it's going to last.
        http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unb...-048-HD00L/202087175

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Go with a high gloss poly designed for floor use. All will tend to yellow a little with age but the water based versions will stay clear longer. Just make sure whatever you use is rated for floor service.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        THANKS! Jaybee yOU Answered my question again.I was hoping you would read my question cause you have replyed to all my question on different boards, and you reply to the question, and not something that has nothing to do with what I ask.Thanks again Linda

quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        Go with a high gloss poly designed for floor use. All will tend to yellow a little with age but the water based versions will stay clear longer. Just make sure whatever you use is rated for floor service.