DIY Message Boards
How to fix a notch floor joist.

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/3923951477

Sep 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
General_Patton
How to fix a notch floor joist.
I have 3 notched 16x8x2 standard floor joists in my basement. The notch is the same size in each joist. The notch is almost in the center of the joist and measures 4 1/2 inches wide by 2 1/2 inches high. In order for my basement to pass inspection I have to repair them. I am going to sister the joist but I didn't know how long the sister joist has to be in order to pass inspection. Do I have to sister the whole joist or is there a minimum length the sister joist can be? Additionally, do I have to sister both sides of the notched joist? Please advise and many thanks!

Notched Floor

Sep 28, 2013, 03:41 PM
Frodo
butcher job....cant do that. you can bore a hole in the middle. but not the edge. . call your inspector, have him look at it. and give you his recomendation
by being up front, and asking him what he thinks
he may cut you a little slack. . you said, there all like that. . your joist is trashed...
some of em are ok guys and understand. some are hard nosed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Sep 28, 2013, 04:49 PM
Jaybee
I can give a half answer - You should be able to sister a scab over the bad area. 2' to 3' on either side of the cut area (total patch 4' to 6' long) should do it. However, this amount will vary by each local code department. Some may even require a full length sister joist. So the best thing to do is to call and tell them what you have and what you plan to do - get their blessing in advance as to what they will pass and you'll be fine without doing too much.

The most you'll have to do is one full length sister joist. There is no reason to sister on both sides as the single sister will be just as strong as the original.

Jaybee
Sep 29, 2013, 09:54 PM
swschrad
use a good construction adhesive as well as screws or nails when you sister those joints.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Oct 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
markspend3
Hey Guys well i think that dutchman is timber cut to fit in e.g filling a depend mortise, or in this situation a level in the joist.Thanks!!
Oct 29, 2013, 11:02 AM
swschrad
notch and tenon, or hole and peg, construction of structure is a specialized art done by craftsmen. it is not "taught," it is apprenticed. Joe Timeclock might think he's going to git 'er dun, but his work won't last. the Timeclocks of this world need to stick with over-stud, brackets, and nails.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Oct 30, 2013, 07:30 AM
CommonwealthSparky
And what ever your inspector instructs you to do get him to sign off on it.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...