All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Tiles not sticking
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Tiles not sticking Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just put new tile down in my bathroom. They are a tile mosaic being attached to cement board. I used a standard thin set mortar. I followed the instructions for making the mortar exactly. However throughout the process the mortar got dry. I would add water and it seemed to help however the tiles with added water did not stick very well and some of them are coming up. Do I need to rip all of them up and start over or can I get away with pulling up the looser ones and reattach?

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Anything already loose has to come up and be reinstalled. You can pull up just the bad sections, and keep the 'good' ones in place, provided you remove all the old thin-set. Otherwise, when you reinstall with new thin-set you'll be slightly higher.

It sounds like you had too dry of a mix to start with and took a long time to lay the tile. Also possible that you had old or cheap thin-set mix. I've noticed that the $5 a bag stuff tends to dry out quickly while the slightly more expensive multipurpose that runs around $15 a bag is more forgiving.

Jaybee

Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It's also possible they mixed too much material for the speed at which they could lay the tile. Mix smaller batches if that's the case.

Posts: 873 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post