DIY Message Boards
What to use on a brick floor

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/3883991577

Nov 13, 2013, 11:42 AM
Chorissa
What to use on a brick floor
I have a Brick floor in my Indoor Sunroom! It looks so pretty when wet because it gives it a deeper richer color! I've seen like the Spanish tile floors in business's that have a high gloss finish over them and the grout! Does anyone know what that is? I would like the same effect on my brick floor! The ones I've seen looks like a thick clear product not just a wax or sealer.
Nov 14, 2013, 04:08 PM
Simply_Me
Hi Chorissa,

Below is a method that you might possibly could use to seal your brick floor so that it has a darker more sealed appearance. The link is actually for sealing Spanish tile floors if it is not porcelain or ceramic tile.

http://www.reclaimedtilecompan...ing-terracotta-tiles

Since your brick floor is very likely porous the method used in the link above would likely achieve the results you desire. However, you might be wise to test it first on a spare brick or in an area that less obviously seen before doing your whole floor to see if like the results.

First brick are porous and will collect dirt readily so vacuum and wash the floor and use a wet vacuum to collect all water so that all dirt is removed. Then allow your bricks to dry thoroughly and assist this possibly place a dehumidifier (setting it at 40% humidity if it has a digital read out) in the area to help remove water from the air as well as the bricks, so they are more absorbent.

If after you do the test and like the results you may find that you will need to apply at least 2 coats of boiled linseed oil possibly 3 because bricks tend to quite porous and will absorb the oil readily. Simply follow the instructions in the link and allow sufficient time to dry between coats and if you apply more and if after 30 minutes you see an excess amount of it pooling in an area wipe it off and allow it dry thoroughly before continuing. You'll know when it's not dry because it will feel sticky to touch. It may take 24 to 36 hours to dry depending on the humidity.

Others may have additional suggestions.

Good Luck!