DIY Message Boards
Old house, old floors. 1845 Two types of wood

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8491013504/m/3713948077

May 26, 2013, 11:04 PM
TamieJP
Old house, old floors. 1845 Two types of wood
When we replaced our carpet, we discovered that the wood in the middle of the floor might be pine & built in a square. The wood around the edge of the room is oak. My father in-law said it's a "poor man's floor". The rug would cover the cheaper floor. One would believe that the entire floor is oak. We bared three floors like that. Has anyone seen floors like that?

Would you be willing to refinish them? Would you change the pine to oak?
May 27, 2013, 03:59 AM
Jaybee
I would call it character.

Sure, it may have originally been built that way to cut down on the quantity of more expensive oak flooring needed. OR, it may have been done deliberately to create a flooring effect. Both have been done in the past and are still done today.

Unless to floor is so damaged that it doesn't refinish well, I would go ahead and refinish the whole thing and let it be seen. Worst case would be if you didn't like how it turned out, you could still get that throw rug to cover the pine.

Jaybee
May 27, 2013, 08:21 AM
swschrad
that is probably not our common soft 25-year-old pine from the yard today, but good heavy hard old yellow Southern pine from old growth forest. sounds like somebody with craft spent some time on that floor. I'd shine it up and love it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?