All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Pergo in the bathroom
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Pergo in the bathroom Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We installed our pergo floors in the bathroom, we have tile and a porcelain tub that meets the floor. What do you do to cover the 1/4 in gap between the wall and the pergo? Can't exactly nail baseboard in to ceramic or the tub...

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Laminate never should have been installed in a bathroom !!!
        It will not work and water will get in under it and take out the subflooring.

joecaption

Posts: 18036 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'm with Joe on this.

The 'official' word from floating floor manufacturers is that if used in potential wet areas like kitchens and bathrooms that you fill the perimeter gap with a good grade of silicon caulk.

The problem with that is that there is just no way to keep water from getting under a floating floor, even with a good silicon seal. With so much water available to hit the floor in a bathroom, it is simply a matter of time before water gets under the floor, stays trapped and starts to mold. Even worse is the vision of a young lad just out of potty training who has yet to perfect his aim. Just like "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas' it's just as true that "what flows under a floating floor is there forever".

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you all for the responses. The pergo was free so we will keep it in there for now. But I'm still wondering what to do where the floor meets the tub?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Not going to hold up but, the best you can do is use some 100% silicone.
        That's going to happen is laminate is going to expand and contract and crack the caulking.
        Free is not "free" if it does not work.
        First thing you'll notice is raised areas where the seams are as it fails.

joecaption

Posts: 18036 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        even if it was the plastic impregnated stuff sold for basement contact, I wouldn't use it in a wet zone like a bathroom. I'm a tile guy with lots of grout sealant for that area.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        aint gonna work..pergo is a man made pressed wood fiber product. when it gets wet it will fall apart and turn back into mush/saw dust

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I don't disagree with any of the statements above. However:

IF this bathroom was on a concrete slab or in a basement over concrete, I would be less concerned than these guys. Especially since you already have it installed. If it gets wet (toilets can occasionally flood)...well you just tear it out and replace with something meant for wet areas like vinyl or mortared tile.

As far as the gap between the tub and floor, I would use some flexible caulking close to the color of the flooring. Tape along the floor edge and again along the tub before you caulk. Then remove the tape to leave crisp lines. This will make the joint less visible, at least for a while.

"Train" everyone who uses the tub to DRY off and use an absorbent mat before and as they exit the tub and hang all towels to dry. But as others have said...it is probably going to be a temporary floor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post