All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Floors    Tile over engineered flooring
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Tile over engineered flooring Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm new to DIY and this is my first post. I have been looking at the feasibility of laying Tile over my laminate flooring.I put this garbage flooring in my kitchen 2 years ago.Any little drop of water causes it to swell at the joints. It looks like garbage. OK a little history of my flooring. I have 3/4 tongue and grove subfloor then there is 1/2 plywood over that. Next a vapor barrier and the laminate flooring. Is it a bad idea to bond the ceramic tile to the laminate with an epoxy? And what if I screwed the laminate down?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You need to have q subfloor material that doesn't move - like plywood. Plywood over the original 3/4 T&G is OK. From the plywood layer, you add a 1/4" or 1/2" concrete board backer set in thinset. Then you add your tile.

Short story here is that you are getting too many layers. Add to that that fact that it's swelling (movement = bad)and that says that you need to get rid of the laminate flooring.

If you wanted to keep the laminate you would have to install a layer of plywood on top, then a concrete backer on top of that - way more work compared to removing the laminate and certainly much more money.

Jaybee

Posts: 10327 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post